Tropical Tag (Help me make Tags fun!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
For the last month and a half, I have been working with a friend (Tarano) on a new tag. My goal with this tag was to create something that did not dull after a few games, to get people who regard tags as repetitive to play and enjoy this map.

Right now, I am looking to improve this map further. I want to make this a quality map that people can enjoy. Therefore, I have decided to come to you guys for help.

Features:

-Unique spells for each hunter(Naga)
-Tech Tree for farms, allowing more strategy and planning
-A large variety of farms to make
-Unique spells and characteristics for each Animal(Fish)
-Volcano that adds suspense via random attacks
-A variety of items for hunters(Naga) at shops
-Random Weather Effects
-Balanced (For the most part. I see Fish win as much as Naga)
-Increased the importance of death and rescuing. Dying results in 50% gold loss for Fish, and rescuing bestows 25% gold gain.
-A tropical environment that allows for more stunning visuals (Will get even better with Jimpy's help)
-Environment plays more of a role (Use islands to juke hunters etc.)
-Very clean presentation (I make sure not to leave blatant tooltip errors, hotkey problems etc.)
-Common Tag problems fixed (Hunters fun, can't build in middle etc.)
-Quality trigger work (Much thanks to Tarano)
-Try it and add to the list!

Here is what I am looking to accomplish:

-Add new content
-Improve terrain
-Fix some very occasional lag issues
-More Balance
-Increase popularity of map

Here is what you guys can do:

-Leave comments about the map here
-Help me test the map
-Spread the word around about this map
-Help me improve terrain (Please post SS of some of your work)
-Help me clean up triggers and reduce lag (I can post code here)
-Brainstorm new ideas for new content

Download the latest version: http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=7378

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Lag Issues

Some people complain about lag. The most common complaint is that the game skips at times. Through some playtesting, we think it has to do with the gold income triggers. People reported the skipping as Gold Banks where being built. There were also reports of skipping when other farms were being built. I will post all the code that could be related and hopefully one of you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

Code:
Events- Every 2 seconds of game time
Actions
    Player Group - Pick every player in (All allies of Player 1 (Red)) and do (Actions)
        Loop - Actions
            If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 1 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than 0
                Then - Actions
                    For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 1 units owned by (Picked player)), do (Actions)
                        Loop - Actions
                            Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to (((Picked player) Current gold) + 1)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 2 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than 0
                Then - Actions
                    For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 2 units owned by (Picked player)), do (Actions)
                        Loop - Actions
                            Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to (((Picked player) Current gold) + 2)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 3 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than 0
                Then - Actions
                    For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 3 units owned by (Picked player)), do (Actions)
                        Loop - Actions
                            Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to (((Picked player) Current gold) + 4)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 4 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than 0
                Then - Actions
                    For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 4 units owned by (Picked player)), do (Actions)
                        Loop - Actions
                            Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to (((Picked player) Current gold) + 9)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 5 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than 0
                Then - Actions
                    For each (Integer A) from 1 to (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 5 units owned by (Picked player)), do (Actions)
                        Loop - Actions
                            Player - Set (Picked player) Current gold to (((Picked player) Current gold) + 20)
                Else - Actions

There is also triggers that limit the number of Gold Banks you can build:

Code:
Event- A unit begins construction, A unit begins an upgrade
Actions
    Player Group - Pick every player in (All allies of Player 1 (Red)) and do (Actions)
        Loop - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 1 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 64
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Income Bank Lvl 1 to 64 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 2 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 32
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Income Bank Lvl 2 to 32 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 3 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 16
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Income Bank Lvl 3 to 16 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Income Bank Lvl 4 units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 8
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Income Bank Lvl 4 to 8 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions

This trigger here is to prevent Fish from building in the Jail region and around shops.

Code:
Event- A unit begins construction
Conditions
    Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        Conditions
            (Terrain type at (Position of (Triggering unit))) Equal to Sunken Ruins - Large Bricks
            (Region 086 <gen> contains (Triggering unit)) Equal to True
Actions- Unit kill (Constructing Structure)

There is also a trigger to limit the number of spell farms that can be built.

Code:
Events- A unit begins construction, A unit begins an upgrade
Actions
        Loop - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Cyclone Device units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 4
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Cyclone Device to 4 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Cloaking Device units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 2
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Cloaking Device to 2 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Reveal Device  units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 8
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Reveal Device  to 8 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Mana Burn Device units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 4
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Mana Burn Device to 4 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions
                If - Conditions
                    (Number of living Sleep Device units owned by (Picked player)) Greater than or equal to 4
                Then - Actions
                    Player - Limit training of Sleep Device to 4 for (Picked player)
                Else - Actions

If you don't think its any of these triggers, please tell me what it could be and I can post the code.

Yoshii

Reaction score
your gold trigger that happen every 2sec cause leak by picking every player, read the leak tutorial about how to fix.memory Leak will cause game disconnects/slow performance.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Thanks for response

Alright, I will go look at that right now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Edit: I read the guide, and I am unsure of what to do. The example in the guide about picking stuff was related to units, not players. Forgive my newbishness on this matter, but can anyone please explain what I should do to fix these problems?

Again, thanks in advance.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Still don't get it

EDIT:

Rad has clearly laid things in out in another thread I created. Thanks again Rad. I will make sure these problems are taken care of for the next version. Speaking of next version, it will hopefully be out tomorrow. There are a lot of changes so I am looking forward to it.

Anyway, now that we have that cleared up, what else can be done to improve the map? Please feel free to leave suggestions of any kind. I am looking for balance, new content, trigger and terrain suggestions. I haven't heard from Jimpy in awhile (granted he is busy) so if he is unable to work on the terrain, it would be nice to have a backup.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
New Version

New version has just been released. This version fixes lag issues, balance issues, bug fixes and some new content. The link at the beginning of this thread has been updated.

**Sorry for double posting, but I didn't see a better way to make this information visible**

B

Byth

Wow

Ok, I just played the game. I love it, It's way better then sheep tag, only one Unfairness in fish.The Sea dragon has unlimited Submerge, make it like 1 minute so they can't sit there and win the game without trying.Also, make a clan/website, I'll will join it for sure.

~Byth

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
New Version

A New version has been released. This one fixes ALL of the lag issues, more balance, some icon changes and a little bit of terrain change. Also, this version introduces the Tank Farm.

The link at the beginning of this thread has been updated!

Thanks Byth for the input. I had a Tropical Tag forum but no one joined it so I just made the thread here, were a lot of knowledgeable people reside. As for the submerge, I will look into it in future versions.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
New Terrain

Thanks to Jimpy, the terrain has been completly changed. New obstacles, nicer landscape and much more. Some camera options were added as well.

Version 1.6 is going to be released soon. I am currently setting up the land/water triggers, fixing a few bugs and some other minor things.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Karawasa, keep workin at your map, once its all balanced and more finalized, i can make some changes to terrain and spread out doodads better.

For now though im all edit-ed out.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Thanks Jimpy. I look forward to giving you the map once its more finalized. Thanks again though for what you did recently. I'll try to be on AIM more. Do you ever play on US EAST?

As for releasing the new version, it will come out either tonight or tomorrow.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
Dunno... I'll check and edit this post in a bit with my answer.

Im on Us.east (Even though I'm canadian..?) My account name is Jimpy. Feel free to add me to friends, but my list is on the full side so you will need to contact me. :)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
for the submerge, just make it so all the normal invisiblility-revealing things reveal him too. If that's too big a nerf, you could also give him an evasion bonus while underwater.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
Here's an Idea:

At the beginning, red chooses from 3 different types of gameplay:

FFA: Everyone must build their own bases, if they build towers near each other, they will attack.

Normal: You can build towns near people without them attacking each other (like most normal tag games).

Teams: 2/3/4 groups of players work together, if they build near someone who is against them, they will attack.

and then, during gameplay, you can set the enemy to modes:

-patrol: for every 3 enemies that spawn, 1 will spawn, movet to a point and patrol from there to another.

-normal: all enemies spawn normally.

-slow: enemies spawn once every 20 seconds.

-medium: enemies spawn once every 10 seconds.

-fast: enemies spawn once every 5 seconds.

((If there are too many enemies on the map, the oldest one gets removed whenever a limit is exceeded))

-immune: enemies that spawn are immune to spells.

-levitate: enemies that spawn fly, meaning that only ranged towers/units can attack.

-random: enemies spawn at random points in the map.

---

Everyone should have a score which goes up every second by 10, if someone is killed by the enemy, their score is reset to 0 and stays at 0 until someone frees them, whoever has the highest score at the end wins.

If it is teams, then each team's scores are added up at the end, the team with the highest score wins.

=====

Hope this helps.

~Jindo

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
what do u mean by enemies, would the enemies be controlled by the naga players??

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Whoa, forums are back up! Let me start up another Tropical Tag thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.