Uncontrollable Units belonging to Player

Uszi

Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm working on a spell that raises a zombie from a player's victims. The zombie spawning itself is working out fine.

I'm trying to figure out a way though to make it so that the zombies will belong to the player, but the player will have no control over them. The zombies are just supposed to start chasing the nearest enemy, but I don't want to the player to be able to give them any orders about where to go or who to attack.

The spell is for a multiplayer map, and it would really simplify things if I found a way to do this, without making the zombies not belong to the player.

Do I need to make a custom AI?
Is there a trigger function to like, "Attack the nearest enemy unit?"

So far I was thinking of putting triggers in place to clear the selection if you choose your own zombie, and/or to just cancel any orders issued by the player. But how to make the zombie attack, that's what I've been dealing with now?

Thanks

Uszi

Reaction score
Here's what I have so far:

Trigger:
  • Zombie Murlocs 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Killing unit)) Equal to Zombie Murloc
        • Then - Actions
          • Wait 0.50 seconds
          • Unit - Create 1 Zombie Murloc for (Owner of (Killing unit)) at (Position of (Dying unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add a 45.00 second Raise Dead expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add classification of Summoned to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack (Random unit from (Units within 5000.00 of (Position of (Last created unit))))
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Dying unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\RaiseSkeletonWarrior\RaiseSkeleton.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
          • Unit - Remove (Dying unit) from the game
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing

Trigger:
  • Zombie Murlocs 2
    • Events
      • Time - Every 6.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Equal to Zombie Murloc
              • ((Picked unit) is in ZombiesNoTargets) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack (Random unit from (Units within 5000.00 of (Position of (Picked unit))))
            • Else - Actions
              • Do nothing

Trigger:
  • Zombie Murlocs 3
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
    • Conditions
      • (Owner of (Attacked unit)) Equal to (Owner of (Attacking unit))
      • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(attack))
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Stop
      • Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack (Random unit from (Units within 5000.00 of (Position of (Attacking unit))))
        • Do nothing

Right now I'm having problems with the zombies attacking friendly and neutral units.

Also, Initially my periodic issue an attack order would make them fidget around and change targets every 8 seconds, but after I added the other two triggers it stopped working. If I manually have a zombie kill something, then the resulting summoned zombie goes hunting, but once it kills something, it just sits there, while its summonee goes hunting, and if it kills something, then it just sits there, etc.

EDIT: Oh, and the ZombiesNoTargets is a unit group from a fix I'm working on now, but left in there by mistake.
The zombies would be given an order, and removed from the group.
But the order is checked, and if it is a friendly or neutral, it would put them back in the group, and reorder them to attack.

EDITEDIT: Fixed the Zombies not attacking every 6 seconds: It was ZombiesNoTargets XD

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
Player selects a unit, unit equal to zombie, remove selected unit from triggering players selection.

Uszi

Reaction score
Player selects a unit, unit equal to zombie, remove selected unit from triggering players selection.

That's what I thought...
But I kind of want enemy players to be able to select them, to see what's coming at them, you know?

BTW: I think I have a fix for making them attack.
Set combat acquisition in the unit editor to 99999
Set the creep camp returning distance in gamplay constants to 999999
Set the return time for creeps to 9999

Now they behave much more like they should. I guess I need to test it now with people to see if they'll pick new targets or just tirelessly dog the same person.

Does anyone know a way to do this with triggers though? Just out of curiosity.

EDIT: Meh. NM, fix only works if the zombies can see an enemy to attack. If I turn the fog of war back on, they just sit there.

Dameon

"All the power in the world resides in the eyes"
Reaction score
player selects a unit, unit equal to zombie, triggering player equal to owner of triggering unit, remove triggering unit from triggering players selection.

Uszi

Reaction score
player selects a unit, unit equal to zombie, triggering player equal to owner of triggering unit, remove triggering unit from triggering players selection.

Thanks!

Ok, here we go:

Trigger:
  • Zombie Murlocs 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Killing unit)) Equal to Zombie Murloc
        • Then - Actions
          • Wait 0.50 seconds
          • Unit - Create 1 Zombie Murloc for (Owner of (Killing unit)) at (Position of (Dying unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add a 45.00 second Raise Dead expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add classification of Summoned to (Last created unit)
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Dying unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\RaiseSkeletonWarrior\RaiseSkeleton.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
          • Unit - Remove (Dying unit) from the game
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack-Move To (Random point in Arena <gen>)
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing

Trigger:
  • Zombie Murlocs 2
    • Events
      • Time - Every 4.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Arena <gen>) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Equal to Zombie Murloc
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Attack-Move To (Random point in Arena <gen>)
            • Else - Actions
              • Do nothing

This makes them behave pretty much right, coupled with a deselecting trigger for the player who owns them, it's pretty much what I wanted.

Interestingly, this way you keep them from bunching up into an unstoppable clusterfuck of zombie minions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.