Will this leak?

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Hey there.
I have a question:
if i transfer data into 2 different timers, will one of them leak?

A demonstration of what i mean:
JASS:
function timer2 takes nothing returns boolean
return true
endfunction

function timer1 takes nothing returns boolean
return false
endfunction

function create takes nothing returns nothing
local blah Data = blah.create()

call TT_Start(function timer1,Data)
call TT_Start(function timer2,Data)
endfunction

assuming that I return true and .destroy the data in func timer1, will timer 2 leak?

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
In this case, combine the timers.

In other cases, set a boolean field to true, and destroy 1 second later some how, or something.

You have to be a little creative, sadly. Setting a field to true and destroying will work as long as a struct isn't created and started within the period from destruction.

Complex issue. :)

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
In this case, combine the timers.

In other cases, set a boolean field to true, and destroy 1 second later some how, or something.

You have to be a little creative, sadly. Setting a field to true and destroying will work as long as a struct isn't created and started within the period from destruction.

Complex issue. :)

Hmmm... How can i check if the stuct is destroyed?
if Data == null or something?
can't think of a different way atm :X

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Lol, no, none of those will work.

As said, put a field on the struct: a boolean. Set it to true on destruction.

You can still read destroyed structs, just they may be overwritten at any point. As long as you don't make a new struct in that time, you're fine. If you do, you're screwed, unless you accept that the timer may already be going for it (because .create will have to set the bool back to false).

I've been a bit unclear, I know. This needs some careful thought, even some delving into how structs work and what they really are in JASS.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Lol, no, none of those will work.

As said, put a field on the struct: a boolean. Set it to true on destruction.

You can still read destroyed structs, just they may be overwritten at any point. As long as you don't make a new struct in that time, you're fine. If you do, you're screwed, unless you accept that the timer may already be going for it (because .create will have to set the bool back to false).

I've been a bit unclear, I know. This needs some careful thought, even some delving into how structs work and what they really are in JASS.

I see.
But, wouldn't it screw up if annother unit cast this specific spell?
Hmm =/
Might aswell have to fuse the timers... Though, i'd have to think thoroghly >_<

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
First off, I'll try to use that flag option, that you suggested.

Jesus, any idea of how to check if a struct is overwirtten? Thus, detecting if it leaks?

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
You can detect a lot of things with booleans.

You know, if you're 100% sure you'll have exactly two timers, you could have the first set a flag to true, and the second detect that and set it back to false and destroy?

Put the same code in both timers, heh. Whichever happens to finish first flags true and returns true, whichever happens to be second can pick up the true, set false and return true.

Alternatively, you have an integer which says how many times it has been started on a timer. Use that somehow.

As said, be creative. :thup:

But you can't really directly detect struct overwrites. You're on nasty territory there. :p
Although I just did it in MoveSpeedX. XD

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
You can detect a lot of things with booleans.

You know, if you're 100% sure you'll have exactly two timers, you could have the first set a flag to true, and the second detect that and set it back to false and destroy?

Put the same code in both timers, heh. Whichever happens to finish first flags true and returns true, whichever happens to be second can pick up the true, set false and return true.

Alternatively, you have an integer which says how many times it has been started on a timer. Use that somehow.

As said, be creative. :thup:

But you can't really directly detect struct overwrites. You're on nasty territory there. :p
Although I just did it in MoveSpeedX. XD

You mean this "this.onTimer = true" thing?

However, i guess i'm going with the integer idea.

I guess i'll post my results.

EDIT:
This is interesting... It does not leak, even if I only destroy the struct once - since the integer value didn't increase and the boolean value never changed.
But, Cohadars Handle Counter detected a slight increase of Handles, like about 200 - 250 after round 5 times spam casted, but after a few times more cast it doesn't increase at all, even if I spammed like crazy...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.