3D sounds

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
I want to make a custom attack sound for my unit.

However, I'm having a problem - attaching a 3D sound to the unit works, but only if I turn off 3D audio from the Options menu, and I can't get seem fade distance to work.

Anyone know how to use 3D audio?

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Here is what you can do (I am assuming that you have imported your custom sound(s) through the Import Manager. I understand that you know most of these steps but I find it easier to take it from the beginning :p):

Go to the sound editor, and select your sound, and press the Use as Sound button. A variable for your sound gets created.
Still in the sound editor, double click on the sound variable you created. A window appears.
Under options, select 3D sound. Change Min Distance to 600 (this value is used on all other 3D sounds in the game as far as I know), leave everything else default. This is usually the problem when people aren't hearing the 3D sound, that they have set this value too low.
Do this with every sound you want as attack sound (I am assuming that you are going to use more than one attack sound for some variation)

This is how I play my custom attack sounds for a unit in my map:

In your Initialization triggers, create a Sound variable, and make it an Array with the Size set to the same amount of attack sounds that you have (lets say you got 3 different attack sounds for this unit)

Code:
Init sound
    Events
Whatever you like
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set AkilzonBoss_SOUND_attack[1] = AkilzonAttackA <gen>
        Set AkilzonBoss_SOUND_attack[2] = AkilzonAttackB <gen>
        Set AkilzonBoss_SOUND_attack[3] = AkilzonAttackC <gen>

(this is copy/paste from one of my triggers but you can of course use another variable name :P)

Then make another trigger for playing the sound when your unit attacks:

Code:
Akilzon boss attacks
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Eagle Avatar
    Actions
        Sound - Play AkilzonBoss_SOUND_attack[(Random integer number between 1 and 3)] at 100.00% volume, attached to (Attacking Unit)

As you might have guessed, my unit is an Eagle Avatar, but you will of course have to change the Unit type condition to whatever unit type your unit is.

The way I play my sound ensures that a random sound is used each time the unit attacks, since the
Code:
Sound - Play AkilzonBoss_SOUND_attack[(Random integer number between 1 and 3)] at 100.00% volume, attached to (Attacking Unit)
plays a random sound from the Sound Array we created in the Initialization trigger (Random integer is under Math - Random Number)

I know this might be a long explanation, but I think this covers all you need to know for custom attack sounds :)

Igor_Z

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Oh this is very useful. U have outdone urself Marsmallos... Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.