[Basic] JASS Garbage collection?

Manix

Reaction score
I was looking at some example JASS code and I noticed that users unset local variables at the end of the scopes. That makes me think that JASS saves not only local variables but instances and stuff, which is an outrage. Is it really that bad? What exactly is the problem there? Thanks!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no garbage collection in Jass and no garbage collection in GUI either.
You have to manually get rid of everything you create.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not that awful yet.​
The worst offense is that some of blizzards own functions which are used everywhere in the game actually leak memory. Blizzard didnt even care to clean up memory leaks in their own game.​

Manix

Reaction score
Yet it turned out being played 20 years after its release and will probably be still played another 20 years later :D I come from dynamic scripting languages and seeing the structure and mechanics of blizzard's scripting syntax really makes me think that they didn't put much effort into it. But on the other hand they didn't need to do it anyway so I can't really blame them. Guess we just have to work with what we've got or not work at all. ^_^

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The game is not being played because it has been coded well.
Blizzard games are known for being buggy (*cough* starcraft), but quality of coding is not whats important to their fans.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.