Memory Questions

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
You won't see that much of a difference in either. The reason is this... the speed is only a slight difference (probably noticable though), but there isn't any programs out that require 4 GB of RAM. I would only recommend 4GB if you are planning to do VISTA within the next year.

I'm not sure of the new architecture of ddr2, but if it is like old RAM, the bus speeds of the mobo are important (they need to match or be higher than speed of ram)

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Ultimate 32 bit
FWIW Core 2 Duo is a 64bit CPU. ;)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
From what I heard, with Vista, 2gb is better than 4gb of RAM.

Reason:

Vista unloads much of the OS into the RAM while using it. With 2gb, it uses 1gb for the OS RAM and the other for Applications. Works nicely.

But with 4gb of RAM, it unloads the whole OS into all the RAM, and leaves very little for applications.

I read this on a tech site somewhere. :p

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
RAM is wasted if not used. Vista is smart and uses as much ram as possible, if an application needs more ram I'm pretty sure that Vista will free some of the memory used by the operating system.

I would choose the 2GB option, mostly because it's cheaper and should still be enough for any non vista os. I'm running fine with 1GB on xp.

Husky

Local Lurker
Reaction score
I would say no because it depends on how many processes you're running. The more processes, the more it will take up.

Rad

Reaction score
I would say no because it depends on how many processes you're running. The more processes, the more it will take up.

But VISTA not the programs..

My old clan leader in 2142 would complain when on vista, when he closed it the ram would take +-5 minutes to unload... he says everything was choppy and delayed until then. Hes an IT guy and got a free gaming laptop and crap for perks -_-

jerk...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.