Sci/Tech Salty Water Flows on Mars Today, Boosting Odds for Life

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Liquid water flows on Mars today, boosting the odds that life could exist on the Red Planet, a new study suggests.

The enigmatic dark streaks on Mars — called recurring slope lineae (RSL) — that appear seasonally on steep, relatively warm Martian slopes are caused by salty liquid water, researchers said.

"Liquid water is a key requirement for life on Earth," study lead author Lujendra Ojha, of the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, told Space.com via email. "The presence of liquid water on Mars' present-day surface therefore points to environment that are more habitable than previously thought."

Ojha was part of the team that first discovered RSL in 2011, by studying images captured by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA'sMars Reconnaissance Orbiter(MRO).

Read more here. (Space)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
How come all names of US researchers sound like they belong to immigrants?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Remember your idea for curing the obesity 'crisis?' That plan was already implemented to help counter the stupidity crisis. To little avail.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
How come all names of US researchers sound like they belong to immigrants?
If you're gonna be like that, take a look at the last names of some of the most celebrated researchers of all times. They're almost always German.
Also, if you can't answer your question on your own, just look at what America did to the near east.

jonas

Reaction score
Last I checked salty water does NOT boost odds for cellular life

KMilz

Reaction score
We're talking about foreigners, not science, damnit!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember your idea for curing the obesity 'crisis?' That plan was already implemented to help counter the stupidity crisis. To little avail.
Why? To me it looks like this article is proof that its working.

KMilz

Reaction score
But it didn't do anything about all the stupid people.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
It didnt do something against ALL the stupid people but it certainly did something against some of them if you did it right.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It didnt do something against ALL the stupid people but it certainly did something against some of them if you did it right.
Plus, they just started a trial run, so expect more/less to happen accurately within the next few years.

KMilz

Reaction score
Well now I forget exactly what you said. I thought we were just bringing in more skinny people to offset all the fatties in the original suggestion. Were we talking about eating the fatties, too, or something? Otherwise it might work at bringing the overall percentage down, but won't give us any fewer fatties. Or dumb-fucks, as in the current suggestion.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now I forget exactly what you said. I thought we were just bringing in more skinny people to offset all the fatties in the original suggestion. Were we talking about eating the fatties, too, or something? Otherwise it might work at bringing the overall percentage down, but won't give us any fewer fatties. Or dumb-fucks, as in the current suggestion.
Why would no one want that? Just start an exchange program. You export fat americans to starving families in asia and import their smartest kids to work in your death factories. Everbody is happy and the statistics look amazing.

KMilz

Reaction score
Oh, my bad. That would work, then. I guess we just haven't been doing it right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.