General Silver Treasure, Worth $18 Million, Found in North Atlantic

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
11shipwreck_cnd-articleLarge.jpg

Sea explorers announced Monday the discovery of a new sunken treasure that they plan to retrieve from the bottom of the North Atlantic.

Off Ireland in 1917, a German torpedo sank the British steam ship Mantola, sending the vessel and its cargo of an estimated 20 tons of silver to the seabed more than a mile down. At today’s prices, the metal would be worth about $18 million.

Odyssey Marine Exploration, based in Tampa, Fla., said it had visually confirmed the identity of the Mantola with a tethered robot last month during an expedition and had been contracted by the British Department for Transport (a successor to the Ministry of War Transport) to retrieve the lost riches.

In recent years, strapped governments have started looking to lost cargoes as a way to raise money. They do so because the latest generation of robots, lights, cameras and claws can withstand the deep sea’s crushing pressures and have opened up a new world of shipwreck recovery.

Last edited:

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Whoa $18 million... If only I have that amount of money.

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
Whoa $18 million... If only I have that amount of money.

Dont wish that. Think about it you would be happy for few weeks, months and then what? You would get fed up with all of it or bored after trying everything or broke after spending everything. Even I would want that but if I think about what I would do with it I dont think I would be happy for long with all the stuff, but who knows maybe that's b.s. and I am wrong. Who knows.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Dont wish that. Think about it you would be happy for few weeks, months and then what? You would get fed up with all of it or bored after trying everything or broke after spending everything. Even I would want that but if I think about what I would do with it I dont think I would be happy for long with all the stuff, but who knows maybe that's b.s. and I am wrong. Who knows.

quite the typical but lame response.
some people who DONT have a large amount of money would actually appreciate it. we arent all you.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Dont wish that. Think about it you would be happy for few weeks, months and then what?
Well, some people, unfortunately, can't handle a alot of money.
But no one would know for sure, before you get "millions" how you will react or do with them. really!

Anyway, money is not everything, but it can make life a lot easier. Isn't that right?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Well, some people, unfortunately, can't handle a alot of money.
But no one would know for sure, before you get "millions" how you will react or do with them. really!

Anyway, money is not everything, but it can make life a lot easier. Isn't that right?

Didn't you ever take an Economics class? Money IS everything.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score

Wishing doesn't harm, until wishes turn into desperation. :3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.