Someone to help me balance?

aussj4link

Reaction score
I need help balancing my map, its not nearly finished but it is to the point where I'm making a lot of new heroes and I need the heroes mostly to be balanced. What would be nice is if I could get one hero well balanced so that I can kind of use him as a template to balance other heroes easier.

I know this idea might sound bad at first but with what little I have on the map it's actually kind of fun and I think with more work it could be a lot of fun lol. Its my attempt to make a "Hero Wars Vs Melee". Basically if you choose to play hero war style you will get a base (which is pretty strong but if its destroyed you lose), 1 alter which after selecting you hero the building is changed to a shop. At first you will only have 3 food, your hero does not cost any. you can train basic workers which eventually will be able to build a few defensive structures or structure for supporting your hero, but for now it can make a simple AA tower and a bunker so you can hide your workers in the event of an attack. The workers primary function for now is to harvest wood which will be used for various things like items and structures, however the main focus is to basically use only your hero (which becomes somewhat powerful with some work in order to combat the melee players armies effectively and balanced). There will eventually be many heroes to choose from, for now though I have only made a few and I would like to make custom abilities for each one if possible.

If anyone would like to help me balance and support this map with trigger help and/or suggestions I would be much appreciative. Thanks!

Never_Quit

Reaction score
Neat idea. Sounds kinda like a HW, Enfo's, and Legion TD setup.

I have not balanced a map before. That was my primary issue with a TD i was creating.

In theory, I would base increased levels of health of enemy units off of an equation.

You may also want to change how fast the hero's level here.

EDIT: For hero's, you could also make sure that all units are able to dish out the same damage per second (For spells, putting in constant damage point divisor times (unit of mana cost multiplied by regeneration rate)) and then you would add on more points per unit speed.

Essentially, you would be using figuring out constants to multiply each value by so that you could sum up all of a given unit's attributes into a single value.
Perhaps, the best idea would be to set up a bunch of cool stuff and just test it and see what feels imbalanced.

aussj4link

Reaction score
Hey check it out and see what you think, its kind of playable right now, though like I said a lot is unfinished. The -zoom is in it too lol, I like that function for some reason.

Attachments

• Melee vs Hero War.w3x
    370.1 KB · Views: 154

Never_Quit

Reaction score
Looks like a good start.
You are using a little more manual labor than necessary for example one of your triggers can be condensed to this:

Trigger:
  • Ini Gold Gain Shortened
    • Events
      • Time - Every 5.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 12, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • playerGoldSet[(Integer A)] Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Player - Add 5 to (Player((Integer A))) Current gold
            • Else - Actions

where playerGoldSet[] is an array of Boolean variables of true or false that you set with another for loop from 1 to 12 in your player initialization.

I like the dialog. I didn't try those until after I understood multi-boards :)

aussj4link

Reaction score
Actually the reason why I had it set up like that was that I only wanted the players who choose hero wars to get the gold, melee players will be getting plenty from their mines and what not. Also another thing is that I want to set it so that if your playing hero wars all units you kill are worth gold, since this will be the only way to really get gold for them, whereas melee will be getting plenty.

I figured the easiest and most user friendly way to choose in game was with a simple dialog, I never liked the whole typing -this and -that in order to make things happen. that map as it is can actually get pretty crazy when you get a lot of computers and maybe a friend with ya lol. Can't wait to see if it will work when It's finished.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.