Report The congruency effect: Study shows walking can boost your math abilities

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Movies often show someone pacing around their office while thinking about a problem they are stumped on. But have you ever wondered why pacing is associated with problem solving? As it turns out, researchers believe body movements may help individuals solve certain types of problems.

More specifically, different types of body movements may help solve particular arithmetic problems. Researchers have shown that our math abilities can be influenced by a variety of movements, including our head movements, hand movements, and horizontal/vertical motions.

Some researchers have begun focusing on how whole body movements like walking can influence individuals’ math abilities. Past research has found that our addition and subtraction skills show a “congruency effect”. These researchers discovered that people perform addition better when moving upward (like in an elevator or walking up the stairs), and perform subtraction better when moving downwards. Interestingly, this effect was seen when participants performed passive actions, such as going up or down an elevator.

Other researchers have found a congruency effect for horizontal movements as well. For horizontal congruency effects, smaller numbers are congruent to the left side, and larger numbers are congruent to the right side.

Read more here (PsyPost)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I always like to walk when I have to think about software developement. I feel like it helps me think.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I always like to walk when I have to think about software developement. I feel like it helps me think.
Same, I used to love mowing the lawn (push mower) as a break from programming. Now I live in the city :(

jonas

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I like to sleep when I have to solve difficult problems. After a while of sleeping, they usually solve themselves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.