Are we going to upgrade to 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dest

Reaction score
vBulletin is planning to soon release a new version, which include a major fix of most things that impacts on the security, and a nice forum look and so on.

Are we actually going to upgrade to 4.0?

(More info; http://www.vbulletin.com/)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Big new releases like that are always buggy. No real-world use at that point. :p
So we'll probably wait a while and let several more updates come along before signing up.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
vBulletin is planning to soon release a new version, which include a major fix of most things that impacts on the security, and a nice forum look and so on.

Are we actually going to upgrade to 4.0?

(More info; http://www.vbulletin.com/)

The new look is horrible.. it looks like wordpress. Loses the unique vB look.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Will we retain the old vB 3.0 look after upgrading to vB 4.0 in the near future? Or will be able to have two or more vB default themes?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
We are not using the exact Default theme for the forum now. When we update to a new version of the forum software one of our goals will be to maintain the current look of the site. Also, we never update to a new version of the forum software immediately. Personally, I like to wait at least a year after its out to avoid the initial release bugs.

Dest

Reaction score
The new look is horrible.. it looks like wordpress. Loses the unique vB look.

Well, it does come with a CMS and blogs if you pay for it.

Will we retain the old vB 3.0 look after upgrading to vB 4.0 in the near future? Or will be able to have two or more vB default themes?

I don't think so...

We are not using the exact Default theme for the forum now. When we update to a new version of the forum software one of our goals will be to maintain the current look of the site. Also, we never update to a new version of the forum software immediately. Personally, I like to wait at least a year after its out to avoid the initial release bugs.

Why not for several months? It might look like I'm excited for it, but I'm not. In several months, there will be a few bugs and we won't have problems.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
There are reasons why The Helper prefers waiting a while longer, then upgrade. And those reasons are mostly beneficial and safer.

You wouldn't want your "400+ massive JASS trigger" go to waste after clicking "Post Reply" and getting a runtime error, would you?

Or you wouldn't want all of the best threads historically saved all erased within a matter of seconds, would you?

These are what The Helper is afraid of.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Why not for several months? It might look like I'm excited for it, but I'm not. In several months, there will be a few bugs and we won't have problems.
It doesn't hurt to wait. Few bugs here and there can be to much... When you pay for it. It's not fun either.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI people we don't upgrade stuff here just to upgrade it. The only feature of VB 4 that I would like is the Search Friendly URLs but we are going to be installing VBSEO pretty soon on this version of VBulletin so that is not even an issue. We might not even upgrade to the 4.0 until they stop supporting this version with patches, since there is nothing in 4.0 we need.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe a psuedo-vB 3.0/4.0 mix-up...

But, oh well, the leader has made up his mind. We go, or else...

----------

I'm curious about VBSEO. What is it?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Basically what it does Tom is changes the last part of the URL of forum posts to the title of the post. You can see the difference really clearly if you click on any of the threads in this forum and compare the URL to one of The Hives threads URL. The Hive has used VBSEO for a while now.

Dest

Reaction score
FYI people we don't upgrade stuff here just to upgrade it. The only feature of VB 4 that I would like is the Search Friendly URLs but we are going to be installing VBSEO pretty soon on this version of VBulletin so that is not even an issue. We might not even upgrade to the 4.0 until they stop supporting this version with patches, since there is nothing in 4.0 we need.

Upgrading to 4.0 fixes a LOTS of security patches. A lot of them. If you don't upgrade immediately, there's a chance that people can find scripts and hack TH. Your loss, not mine though.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Switching to vBSEO has more benefits on a new forum than on an existing site.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Upgrading to 4.0 fixes a LOTS of security patches. A lot of them. If you don't upgrade immediately, there's a chance that people can find scripts and hack TH. Your loss, not mine though.

There is a greater risk of a completely upgraded version to have glitches and have security flaws than older versions. This is TheHelper that was talking, he knows what he is doing and he has been doing it his way for this site for a long time.

So with that comment said, Thread closed...

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
vBulletin hasn't stopped supporting 3.8. They will continue to support it with security updates and patches even after 4.0 has released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.