AVG 8.5 Marks all .exe's as infected...

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
So I'm on my sister's computer (Which I built, not from a manufacturer) and AVG has only recently started thinking that every EXE that I interact with is a virus. To get around this I had to disable Resident Shield just to use it normally, but that leaves me exposed...

So I thought what the hell, and scanned the comp and removed the 1100ish exe's on it. I couldn't do anything, and explorer.exe was gone.

So I had to redownload explorer.exe off the net (I was using Task Manager to open things) and I had the GUI back, yay. Then I opened Virus Vault and restored all the exes back, yay.

But what the hell? Why would AVG do that, I have DEFINITELY the latest updates for it. Maybe something changed the code of AVG to flag everything thus turning your own antivirus against itself, I dunno.

But strange, does anyone know anything more about this? Perhaps I should reinstall AVG?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you need to report that error to the AVG support help.

I don't use AVG, but I believe they will be helping you out.

But, since you have already restored that problem, I don't think you have to report that to them, they might want some proof of evidence in order to effectively help you and them out. I don't know about the last part, though.

Strange, you didn't report that to AVG in the first place. Next time that problem occurs, remember to report it.

Good luck and I hope you don't get your head injured by your sister.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a widespread infection of a virus lately?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
AVG seems to have been corrupted. I suggest a reinstall.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.