Background settings problem

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Well lets put it this way: I was fiddling around with windows and was trying to change the Interface and 2 dlls to make Dreamscene work on Home Premium...I backuped all the files. It didn't work, but that was no big deal since evereything else worked fine, just as before.
Today I installed a new Nvidia Forceware driver, 162.22 for Vista 32-bit.
I restarted my PC and wanted to acces the menu via Desktop rightclick -->settings or whatever its called. But all the text was missing... I don't think it has to do with the Dreamscene thing, more with the driver. It should work actually though.
Anyone know a soluttion, should I deinstall the driver?

Heres a picture:

Oh and don't complain about the colors, I used Paint :D

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a virus, did you scan for viruses? ... and defragging your disk? :D

Well lets put it this way: I was fiddling around with windows and was trying to change the Interface and 2 dlls to make Dreamscene work on Home Premium...I backuped all the files.
I doubt the Nvidia drivers are responsible for this mess, it's most probably due to your own tampering: which DLLs did you replace? Did you reboot after installing / restoring them?

Are there any error messages show in the event viewer?

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
I don't think its not the drivers, it worked before.
I replaced the themecpl.dll and the themecpl.dll.mui and added dreamscene .dll and .dll.mui
Also, I added a registry entry...
No entries in the error viewer regarding that problem

And I don't think its a virus, I can still acces the settings, only the text is gone.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
I don't think its not the drivers, it worked before.
I replaced the themecpl.dll and the themecpl.dll.mui and added dreamscene .dll and .dll.mui

Oh, themecpl.dll ... now that's a coincidence. :rolleyes:

Is only that part of the control panel not working or do the other entries also miss some text? Did you at least use a german DLL to replace your own? If I were you, I'd put everything back the way you had it.

And I don't think its a virus, I can still acces the settings, only the text is gone.

Of course it's not a virus... :nuts:

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
That might be the problem, that it was english. But it worked for quite a while without problems.
And can I just run repair.exe or something?

Rad

Reaction score
Well didn't you back up the DLL's before you replaced them?

I mean themecpl.dll = Theme Control Panel, which is obviously where its messed up.

I don't know of any solutions though [Dont have vista], might try google? (Although this topic probrably isn't very common)

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
I did back it up as themecpl.dll.original...but I can't find it :eek:

EDIT: Woohoo I repaired it. The Problem was the themecpl.dll.mui, the interface file.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.