Bad Connectivity

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Recently, about a month back, my internet has become extremely unreliable while browsing websites, I'll get maybe 3 seconds of connectivity per minute or 2.

But for downloads or games I will have full connectivity the whole time, it's just really bad at loading webpages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm on a network with 2 other computers, both experiencing similar problems. I'm not entirely sure how the network is set-up, as my brother does the tehcnical stuff, but we have a linksys wireless router connecting the 3 computers into a wired netgear router which I think connects the linksys to the phone line.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Why don't use ask your brother if he did the setup?

As file transfers are working fine: quit downloading pr0n when surfing :p

enouwee

Reaction score
Great...:rolleyes:

Is the signal strength fine? Maybe a neighbour installed a wireless access point using the same channel as yours.
Are the IP addresses assigned through DHCP? If not, check for IP address collisions. Turn off all PCs but one and see if it's faster. A second one, test again... and so on

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Great...:rolleyes:

Is the signal strength fine? Maybe a neighbour installed a wireless access point using the same channel as yours.
Are the IP addresses assigned through DHCP? If not, check for IP address collisions. Turn off all PCs but one and see if it's faster. A second one, test again... and so on

Signal strength is always 'Very Good' @ 54mbps.

The network is password protected so I don't think a neighbour could be using it.

As for the DHCP thing, I don't know, how would I check?

There are no IP collisions, I'm pretty certain of that.

As I'm typing this, my PC is the only one on, and it's extremely slow loading pages.

enouwee

Reaction score
The network is password protected so I don't think a neighbour could be using it.

He doesn't have to access your network directly, but only interfere with his own signal. Analogy: imagine both of you talking to other persons when sitting next to each other at the same time.

It that were the case, you'd see drops in signal quality and can be verified by comparing your own channel ID to the other ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.