Best method for a Prayer of Mending

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Ok, I am making a spell that is like Prayer of Mending (since it is obviously one of the most awesome spells in WoW).

Now, any ideas on how to register the damage? Basically, I am going to make a periodic to jump to the first unit, and then register if the target takes any damage within 15 seconds. However, I want the opportunity to get the healing from taking damage removed after the 15 seconds are over.

Then this will need to jump to 4 times more to other units, repeating this process. (unless there are no units nearby, in which it will end the spell)

Ok, so what would be the best approach for this? I can easily make the projectiles for bouncing and what-not, but what approach should I take for the "15 second-lasting only event". Should I make some dynamic triggers? Examples would be nice too, thanks. =)

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
You should edit the link without the #taught-by-npc so it appears at the top. It's just easier slightly.

This spell applies a buff on an ally, and when the ally takes damage within 15 seconds, they get healed and the heal jumps to other units?

However, I want the opportunity to get the healing from taking damage removed after the 15 seconds are over.

I don't get that sentence. You want the heal [buff] to last 15 seconds only? Huh?

Why not just have a buff that last 15 seconds and trigger from there?

But I've probably misunderstood you.

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
i think it's pretty easy if you get the map's systems itself in a good set-up.
i mean a proper damage detection, unit indexing and/or a buff system.

Places a spell on the target that heals them for 800
'buff' would probably be a struct placed on a unit with a method that activates when a unit takes damage (that's available on J4L's BuffStruct.)

Jumps up to 5 times
that;s where an indexing system comes in, record the jump number per bounce and check if it reached max.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Would go like this:

When spell activates Use some buff system to place Prayer buff to target. Buff has this 15 second duration. ( Get some proper buff system )

When Unit takes a damage and has buff, it gets healed. ( Get healing and damage detection systems )
Create a projectile to location of unit, and aim it to closest ally unit. Projectile should place Prayer buff to target. ( Get projectile system for projectiles )

Spell struct should hold the data about the spell level, max number of jumps, jumps made, healing amount and other variables. Youll have to attach that struct to either buff or projectile, depending on which one of them exist at the time.
When enough jumps are made, you destroy your struct and dont create new projectile anymore.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Thanks guys, buffs had slipped my mind for the moment. I guess that'd be the easiest solution, thanks for the help everyone. =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.