CPU & VGA Opinion

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Okay so for my next build I'm tossing up between an E7200 or an E5200, I've read the '52 can overclock to 4Ghz quite easily and with room for more. But the '72 can also be overclocked AND has 1MB more of L2 cache but is a bit more expensive. I'm sort of leaning towards the E5200 but I'm not sure if the extra cache is really worth it.

Also I'm tossing up between two HD 4850's in CFX or a Single 4870. In some reviews the gain with the CFX setup can vary by a few FPS to over 20. Whereas the single card does the same in some cases. The two cards are more expensive than a single 4870 and I also have the option of obtaining another 4870 later on down the track - but by then there will be other things out like say a the 5xxx range probably. Prior to reading the reviews I thought the CFX was the way to go but after reading some I'm sort of leaning towards the single 4870.

In Aus prices are a bit more expensive because we have to import them.
Here are the prices roughly in $AU:
E5200: ~$90-100ish
E7200: ~$170-$180ish
2x 4850: ~$400-450ish (/2 for single price)
1x 4870: $270-$290ish

So in summary, I reckon the E5200 @ 4Ghz as well as a single HD 4870.

ALSO, I will be using the computer for hard gaming mainly and video encoding/watching movies. Nothing like audio encoding (Though similar) or acting as a server. I currently have an E6550 @ 3.5Ghz from 2.33, and it has nice increases in encoding but not so much in gaming unless its low resolution.

Also, I plan to overclock the graphics cards which is why I think the 4870 is a worthy investment as it has been cited as being highly overclockable.

And no Nvidia fanboys, I just need an opinion which suits my situation.

Just looking for your opinions thanks!

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
personally i think the E7200 is better.

the 4870 your 100% right bout that.

Exfiltrate

Reaction score
Get a Gtx260 and an e7200

I would go with a gtx260, which in most cases is better than the 4870. If you want an ATI card I would go with the 4890.

If you are going to be doing a lot of video encoding I would go for a quad-core.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
What? Exfiltrate, are you on crack?

The 4870 easily outperforms the gtx260, and the 4850 is better to based on a price:performance ratio.

I suggest an i7 or a quad core, and a 4870 as it outperforms the gtx280.

Source

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
The 4870 easily outperforms the gtx260

Are you sure you pasted the right "source" ? Those benchmarks look pretty balanced to me and even the articles says:
TechSpot article said:
This has to be the main head-to-head battle, as both cards pricing are hovering around the $299 mark. As you can see, the results are rather balanced.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
I don't want to get i7 because then I have to get an i7 Mobo and DDR3 and the i7 CPU itself which doesn't really justify its cost considering I can get slightly less performance for a third (I say more though, maybe a fifth) of the price.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.