Report Creativity Closely Linked To Mental Illness

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Individuals who work in creative fields are diagnosed and treated with a mental illness more frequently than the general public, showing an important link between writing and schizophrenia.

The finding came from a team of experts at Karolinska Institutet in Sweden. Their extensive research on the Swedish registry is currently the most inclusive in its area.

Research conducted by the team in 2011 indicated that bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are more prevalent in families consisting of artists and scientists compared to the society at large. They demonstrated that the dopamine system in healthy, creative individuals is fairly similar to that seen in people with schizophrenia.

The aim of the current study was to determine whether more psychiatric diagnoses, such as depression, alcohol and drug abuse, schizoaffective disorder, autism, ADHD, anxiety syndrome, anorexia nervosa, and suicide, were linked with creativity as well. Since their prior trials consisted of hospital patients only, this time they included people in outpatient care.

Should we be creative?

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty creative and pretty strange, so, maybe this is true.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
*confuses correlation with causation*
Writing gives you schizophrenia?!?!?!?!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Schizophrenia gives you writing, and subsequently made you its bitch.

For more information on schizophrenia's bitch, contact Kaerf the gnome cop.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
We should rename "The Writer's Corner" as "The Schizophrenic's Corner".

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
perhaps its because they are educated enough to know they have it. Or they go noticed more then someone working at a job that is more task driven and less thought driven.
Or it has to do with working the brain. who knows.

I am not very creative. Or In artist, and write very poorly. so I think I am safe.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Eh bullshit?
Seriously, these two categories are their own separate thing, They Just shouldn't be mixed by any means.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Eh bullshit?
Seriously, these two categories are their own separate thing, They Just shouldn't be mixed by any means.
Tell that to the researchers who did the study with a sample size of 1.2 million.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Dead, where do you think?

Got to do somethin' with 'em after you're done with 'em.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm why not! Btw: Where's the "1.2 million" Samples????

From the article. It said:
Nearly 1.2 million patients and their family members (down to second-cousins) were examined for the current study. All subjects were compared with healthy controls, Swedish residents from the most recent decades. The information could not be associated to anyone studied because the data was anonymized.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The article implies being extremely creative comes from being mentally disabled. But not the other way around.
I said that 12 posts ago. However CC proposes a very good scenario that I personally enjoy much more so I'm going with that one.

Cheshire is still extremely creative. He just displays it in a more incoherent way. In a few years, we'll view him as the Van Gogh of words (which is to say, not really give a shit for the most part). But, we will be able to say, "we were the best god damn friends Cheshire ever had, because no one else would have the son of a bitch". And WE'LL be famous because HE'S famous for killing someone in a few years (in a creative way), and we'll all testify that he's apeshit crazy so he get's a psych plea and does three years in a bin.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
"we were the best god damn friends Cheshire ever had, because no one else would have the son of a bitch".

nph-thumbs-up.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.