Custom Attribute System

Kuberr24

Reaction score
Hey all. I was thinking of implementing a new attribute system for use in my AOS. Please take a moment to read, and comment on what ways you think this system might work or fail. Keep in mind this system is for AOS types of maps (hero vs hero) and that I'm not trying to invent a new wheel here, the changes are more subtle.

The big question: why?

1) Fixing the high-intelligence-equals-too-much-mana dilemma that heroes with primary attribute intelligence have: Nobody needs more than 2000 mana. This cannot be fixed by simply making bigger spells with higher mana costs. Why would a mage have to pay MORE mana to deal damage with his spell than a warrior? It should be the other way around!
2) Increasing flavor, both in words (see renaming below) as in actual play. Mages will have more skillpoints to spend with this system than warriors, in fact making up for their lack of life and melee damage. (See below how)
3) Fixing the agility-heroes-are-the-best issue: Under the normal system they get both damage, ias AND armor out of their attribute. Because they're often combined with the bowshooting ranger type of hero (damage at a distance), they get out of hand quickly.

So basicly, I tried to make it so specific builds aren't (dis)advantaged early or late game. I don't like the fact mages pawn early, tanks become very hard to kill midgame, and rangers win against multiple opponents lategame because agility is so powerful.

The names of the attributes have changed for flavor reasons. Every attribute reflects some kind of strength, so that name had to go in my opinion.

*Brawn (former strenght) = body strength
*Force (former agility) = combat strength
*Skill (former intelligence) = mind strength.

The word 'brawn' reflects more the aspect of being strong, muscled, high health than just 'strength'. Force implies better your ability to strike an enemy than "agility" (Agility sounds to me how good you are at dodging the enemy and climbing in trees.) Lastly 'Skill' is more than just a spell. A skill could also be setting up traps or inspiring your allies, aka non-magic spells.

The biggest change is that heroes no longer have a primary attribute (they all have agility by default.) This does not mean every hero will be a ranger. Heroes will still gain attributes when they level up, eg mages will gain more skill when they level up then warriors. So this still this defines the basic hero types:

*Fighters (rogue, centaur...) high force, medium brawn, low intelligence
*Battlemages (paladin, orc shaman): medium force, medium brawn, medium intelligence
*Mages (necromancer, elementalist...): medium force, low brawn, high intelligence
*Tanks (golem, giant..): medium force, high brawn, low intelligence

So, the system :)

BRAWN (former strength)
+10 life per point
+1% life regeneration per point
+1 equip for every 10 points

*Items would have an equip level. You need Brawn to be able to wear heavy items.

Force (former agility, every hero's prime attribute)
+1 damage per point
+1% increased attack speed per point
+1 armor for every 10 points

Skill (former intelligence)
+10 mana per point
+1% mana regeneration per point
+1 skill for every 10 points

*You don't get 1 skillpoint every time you level up. You get skillpoints when you invest in Skill (former intelligence)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
at least better then the standard, however, you have to keep in mind making it too complicated will scare off new players as they have to read through blocks of text before they can finally play their game.

one question though, how much skill will a character have by default, how fast will he gain it and what is the maximum, cause it would be pretty bad if you have more skill points then abilities to learn.

by the way, this reminds me of an attribute system i made for an AoS long ago, i was mostly thinking the same way as you but instead of making each attribute more powerful to balance them out i made them weaker, strength(Vitality) was giving only hitpoints, no regen, no damage, agility(Power) was giving damage and attack speed (but only a little), and intelligence(spirit) was giving only manapoints, no regen either.
this way heroes with massive strength had alot of hp but not alot of hp-regeneration thus they could be killed more easily, intelligence heroes had that massive amount of mana but no mana-regeneration and thus they needed all their mana to stay in battle for a longer duration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.