Discussion Do you think real-life game graphics will ever be done?

WindexIsBack

Reaction score
If this topic is considered a debate, just delete it.

I fully believe games will be possible of real-life graphics eventually, but will we really want them?

Take this place for example, curtosy of Google Images. Rather...boring don't you think? The ground is flat, it's plain, nothing is casting enormous shadows, ect. Everything is in focus, nothing is shooting back light. The trees look boring.

Look outside a window - Most of us probably won't have anything amazing, where if you saw that in a game engine, you'd just look over it.

But add effects to it (bloom, hdr, large terrain differences, loads of trees/image blockers, shadows, blur, ssao, ect) the image from the game engine would be a lot more interesting.

Has anyone really thought about it? I was thinking of ideas for modeling scenes while driving one day, and I realized how boring real-life graphics in a game would be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Well it depends where the game is set.

Real graphics or not, a game set beside a lame house will be boring.

However, if you set the game in New York city with "real graphics", it would look stunning.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'mma have to agree with Windex here. I enjoy games because it's not real life. :rolleyes:

Extremedesyr

Reaction score
I dont think people would even want this, it would make the size of the game HUGE, which doesnt matter in the future, but the graphics are one of the things that sepperates a game from another, take Fallout3 for example, with photo realistic graphics it wouldnt even be fun, would it?

but if there would be a poll, i'd say yes

It already exists.

Watch this with HD on. xD

Not sure, but I believe ive seem it. on big widescreen it looks sick but on most people's 'random' pc's it wouldnt even be fun. some games u just play for the graphics and to be able to say: my pc can play this game!

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
That Cry-engine 2 video was awesome, that is almost like it was a filmed enviroment:thup:

The devil may cry 4 videos graphics looked to me a lot like the graphics in the final fantasy advent children:D

This Thread make an add campaign pop up in my head:eek:

"51'st life the game that has better graphics than real life, players who have the 51'st life gloves and hemlet can even feel things in the game

Warning, some areas are of the game can cause your eyes to melt"

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
It largely depends on the game as to whether or not I would want real-life levels of graphics. In a FPS, such as CoD or Far Cry then the more realistic the graphics the better. But with some games, such as Ratchet and Clank, they have to be a little more far out to have the effect I like :)

To be honest I think graphic levels we have now are fine (and I play a PS3 on a 12 year old tv) and I would instead prefer games companies to focus more on acheiving a higher level of destructability in games... though I know that's an unrealistic expectation :rolleyes:

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Remember Fancy graphics doesn't mean it's an awesome game.

>I would instead prefer games companies to focus more on acheiving a higher level of destructability in games... though I know that's an unrealistic expectation

Mercenaries Playground of Destruction (and the latest one most likely) offers gameplay with enough stuff to blow up (cities,cars,large groups of enemy armor) with a variety of weapons like airstrikes,Tanks and bazookas. ;)

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
I think 'real' graphics would be great for sports games.

I also think they would help make more movies do things that wouldn't normally be do-able without looking tackey.

Plus you could use 'real' graphics for things like simulated surgery, where the role of the graphics or 'game' is more so to be realistic and educational, so that while it may just be a practice, could offer more life lack training.

Or perhaps far better flight simulators.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Take this place for example, curtosy of Google Images. Rather...boring don't you think? The ground is flat, it's plain, nothing is casting enormous shadows, ect. Everything is in focus, nothing is shooting back light. The trees look boring.

Look outside a window - Most of us probably won't have anything amazing, where if you saw that in a game engine, you'd just look over it.

But add effects to it (bloom, hdr, large terrain differences, loads of trees/image blockers, shadows, blur, ssao, ect) the image from the game engine would be a lot more interesting.

Has anyone really thought about it? I was thinking of ideas for modeling scenes while driving one day, and I realized how boring real-life graphics in a game would be.

That's because your time is bad, :D Not sunny enough, not dark enough.
And gameplay will change it. Take that image, let's say it's like 11pm during the Fall season, it's thundering, and there's a hundred zombies running behind you, ;) No added effects, no added flashiness, just a realistic scene that's naturally dark, pouring, and has zombies behind you.

I guess throughout the whole game like and ORPG, it would sometimes get boring, but there are a lot of other factors besides graphics.

But your question is if it will be done, and so yes it will for reasons listed. If it'll be good is a different question, :)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
Take that image, let's say it's like 11pm during the Fall season, it's thundering, and there's a hundred zombies running behind you, ;)

Everything's cool when there's zombies in it.;)
For this moments most advanced graphics, check some Heavy Rain videos. They look too awesome!

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Mercenaries Playground of Destruction (and the latest one most likely) offers gameplay with enough stuff to blow up (cities,cars,large groups of enemy armor) with a variety of weapons like airstrikes,Tanks and bazookas.
I have them both, they're probably the only games I have where so much can be destroyed. But even then, you can't actually go inside the buildings.
The graphics for the first one were ok, but as it was on PS2 they were very limited in what they could do elsewhere. Then when the second came out on PS3, everyone complained the graphics weren't good enough, despite the clear improvement and the ridiculously large amount of blowing shit up.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Not until we have nano-graphic cards. When stacked together as big as a normal Nvidia graphics card, you may get what you wanted.

<End of my turf.>

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
No. Simply because real life doesnt have pixels. I think there will always be a visible difference.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.