Extreme lag on Nice Computer

Asdfblah1

Reaction score
Specs:
3 gigs of ram
Geforce 260 (up to date drivers)
3 ghz dual core processor
Very nice cooling system

For some reason, all games are running terribly on this computer. I tried playing left 4 dead, counter strike source, and counter strike. Even counter strike ran horribly. I'm not sure where to begin on finding a solution to the lag but I'll gladly answer any questions.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, you could have viruses, so start with a good virus scan.
You could have bit corruption (though it is unlikely). You could try reinstalling windows.
Your hard drive could be fragmented (though this would impact loading time, not so much performance. Run the windows defrag program.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
AMD or Intel. With AMD I think you still need a patch to correct the weird stuff.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I would say:
1. Get a hammer.
2. Take your computer.
3. Smash the computer to pieces with your hammer.

But that is just me being sick of that kind of computer problem since I had to get that patch for two of my friends about 5 times each last year:banghead:
I do not recommend this method tho:p

I would rather hope that you have an amd and that you will go with Duwenbasden advice:thup:

Try getting the latest drivers for you processor thru windows update or go straight to the manufacturers homepage:thup:

Asdfblah1

Reaction score
I'd like to use samael's first method but it's not my computer (thank god). It's brand new and has no viruses and I've ran every test I could imagine such as memtest, defrag, some virus scans, etc.

My computer is not even half as good as those specs but it runs so much better and stable.

If this helps, it seems to run worse with toned down graphics which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Occasionally it'll lag on the desktop alone which makes me think it's a processor issue but the cpu is never over 10% (even while running l4d).

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
what does vista's system rating say? (if you have vista)
try playing with the monitor's settings (leave resolution at default, try both 59 and 60 hz refresh rate, try both 32 bit and 16 bit colors)
try using some sort of temp monitoring program to look at your temps, post your idle temps (desktop doing nothing) and your stressed temps (after trying to play a game for 10+ minutes), cooling systems arent really all about looks

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
What display do you have btw?

All displays have recommended refresh rates, I got a Samtron 96P(yes an old heavy peace of crap) and it has an optimal refresh rate at 75hz.

Did you try updating the processor drivers?

If you get a tempmonitoring program such as speedfan for example you should be aware that it will raise your comps temp a bit just by using it.
I used speedfan before, and it raised my temps a whole 10degress C(old comp tho, not that I think it matters).

I don't know how it is with geforce, but ati has problems with their drivers, I for one can play most games better when I have a driver that is a few months old rather than the latest driver.

Asdfblah1

Reaction score
It's definitely not a cooling issue. It stays about 30 celcius and drops in temperature when I turn it on (it actually cools the entire room down lol)...The monitor is a widescreen LCD and it's not bad enough that I can see the refresh rate. :p

It's using XP and has a terrabyte of HD space.

I guess I could try updating the processor drivers
I don't think it's a gfx card update issue. It wasn't working before a driver update and isn't working after a driver update so that's probably not it (10 versions in difference).

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Download SpeedFan and check if your computer is overheating or if your computer is having a overvoltage problem..

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Download SpeedFan and check if your computer is overheating or if your computer is having a overvoltage problem..

Yeah, why did I not think of that:eek:

It could be that your comp is pulling more power than your power-thingey can handle:)

I had the same exact problem just two months ago with my new graphicscard, it required me to have a minimum of 400W on my power-thingey:thup:

I don't recommend prolonged use of speedfan tho;)

DrStyles

Reaction score
Well if it's PC then you should check for hundreds (if not thousands) of worthless garbage running in the backround that accomplishes nothing. My computer still has random garbage running in the backround, and i've been trying to stop it for years.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Chances are you have too many programs running in the background using up your resources. If you're 100% sure, you should make sure and not sure think you're sure, then it's a hardware issue and you're going to need to get that checked out.

And just because virus scans say you have no virus, doesn't mean you don't. Some hide very well. ;)

Asdfblah1

Reaction score
Turns out it was actually a heating problem. I mistakenly assumed the cooling was fine because it had always been great but then I noticed the large side fans weren't plugged in properly. I flipped them on and it immediately dropped 5 degrees and ran fine.
+rep to all

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.