Generic expiration timer vs. remove unit

Uszi

Reaction score
So I'm looking through threads and I've noticed the trend that people add expiration timers to their Dummy units to clean them up.

Is there a big advantage to doing it like this? Or is just to avoid making a second trigger for "Unit Finishes the Effect of DummyAbility --> Remove Unit?"

---------

I ask, because I used the later on a dummy blizzard, because I didn't feel like messing with a bunch of different expiration timers as I added more and more waves of Blizzard, taking longer to finish the full ability.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
You don't need the expiration timer to be at an ABSOLUTE MINIMUMMM. Just set it to 20 seconds or so for channeling spells.

Expiration timers are more efficient, I guess. Less Jass function execution, more C++ execution.

Uszi

Reaction score
I can see that I guess.
I kind of like removing the dummys right when they are done, but I guess it does make my trigger editor look a little more messy.

As long as I'm not going to fatally crash and explode because I'm removing dummys instead of giving them timers I'm good.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Expiration timers are a lot better. When using dummy to cause damage spells, dummies that expires too fast or gets removed immediately after casting will not grant bounty to the damaging player, if the unit dies. It will also not recognise which player killed the target. This is disadvantage for spells like Acid Bomb, Doom etc, which deal periodic damage.

Also, expiration timer kills the dummy unit when expired. When killed, the unit will decay for about 60 seconds (I think, can't remember the default). After that, it'll be removed. So, you can consider Expiration timer is almost equivalent to Remove unit. Just that it's not immediate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.