Ghan04 stole my map

Status
Not open for further replies.

insaneownage

Reaction score
I think this story tells itself through screenshots.

http://i42.tinypic.com/b3x3wi.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/256a8uo.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/33caomq.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/flx4br.jpg

Over a year later...

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zqy5pt.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/15ph2s5.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2gt2p06.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a7he2o.jpg

Basically, a while ago I was just your average noob trying to figure out how to use the world editor by making a simple map with basic game mechanics. It was more to figure out to make a game than to really get a map out there. Not wanting to put my map up on TheHelper for fear of embarassment and plagiarism, I turned to a seemingly-friendly user who had thousands of posts.;)

Over a year later, when I don't even play WC3 anymore, I go on bnet for a few games to kill some time and what do I see -- my map, which I sent to someone on thehelper once through email, and NEVER released to anyone anywhere else, saying it is made by someone else!:eek::confused:

I mean, I don't really care about the map that much. It was pretty bad, and as I said, I don't even play WC3 anymore. But man, it just kind of bothers me that this guy has all this respect and everything here when he is out there stealing noob's maps. Or at the very least, he gave it to a friend to use, which I never authorized him to do! I mean, I just wanted to get someone to help me stop my map from crashing -- not give someone else my work to finish! What the hell, man? Get your own ideas!:thdown:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure that you didn't "lend" it to someone else, because I really don't think that Ghan would steal your map.

insaneownage

Reaction score
Well he was the only one I ever sent my map to, so if he didn't make it under a false name, then he gave it to someone else(which I said above, I never authorized him to do - I was just asking for help getting my map to stop crashing!)

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
If you emailed to him, there's every chance he either emailed to somebody else by accident, some relative knows his password and accidentally forwarded it to someone, or somebody hacked his account and found the map, which was then distributed.

Be careful when accusing somebody, especially and administrator.

insaneownage

Reaction score
If you emailed to him, there's every chance he either emailed to somebody else by accident

How many times have you accidentally emailed ANYONE...ANYTHING? Let alone a crappy Warcraft map that you didn't even look at.

some relative knows his password and accidentally forwarded it to someone
As above, that's a lot of stuff to "accidentally" do.

or somebody hacked his account and found the map, which was then distributed.
Doubtful.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
How many times have you accidentally emailed ANYONE...ANYTHING? Let alone a crappy Warcraft map that you didn't even look at.
Then why make such a fuss about it?

If you're wrong and he hasn't done anything willingly, then what?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The map that was "stolen" doesn't even look like your original map you showed in the screen shot...

You really think no one else would have the idea for Russian Roulette? I'm sure hundreds of that type of map have come and gone.

insaneownage

Reaction score
The map that was "stolen" doesn't even look like your original map you showed in the screen shot...

You really think no one else would have the idea for Russian Roulette? I'm sure hundreds of that type of map have come and gone.

I am 100% sure it is my map. Obviously he moved the guys around and improved upon the terrain. If you played it you would hear that all the sounds are the exact sounds I had in my map, which I went to great lengths to obtain. Including the gunshot sound, which I edited myself and is a hybrid of two other gunshot sounds! It's the same map for sure.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I don't understand. Why would Ghan go through all that trouble? Is this map even any good? I'd like to know more about this story than what you put up. It seems like there's something missing in your testimony.

1. You claimed to be a "noob" when you have advanced triggers. Maybe not ultra-cool-advanced, but your triggers are a lot more complex than mine. Sure, noob and newbie have two distinct definitions, but they walk hand-in-hand.

2. If Ghan was so busy, he probably didn't even take a look at your map. This is merely a hunch, but I've said and done the same things before.

3. I know Ghan, and I'm sure he wouldn't have done anything like this on purpose. Maybe he sent this map to someone else once he found your old map. Then he noticed either you were unactive or didn't know who created the map, so he just told whoever he gave the map to to just keep it as their own. "The creator is inactive." Many WCIII users go by this rule. Once you're unactive or not contactable, the user just gives a map to someone advising they shouldn't copy it, etc. But words are only words.

4. Anything you post on the Internet is no longer yours. No matter how hard you try, you'll always end up being part of anonymous to the general public.

Is there any more evidence you can provide?

Please provide the map file either as protected or unprotected.

insaneownage

Reaction score
1. You claimed to be a "noob" when you have advanced triggers. Maybe not ultra-cool-advanced, but your triggers are a lot more complex than mine. Sure, noob and newbie have two distinct definitions, but they walk hand-in-hand.
My triggers weren't really advanced....I mean there are a few random occurrences but that's not hard.

2. If Ghan was so busy, he probably didn't even take a look at your map. This is merely a hunch, but I've said and done the same things before.
I don't really see how that makes it any better. So you are saying he sent my map to someone and was like, "Hey, here's a map I've never looked at, and I have no clue what it is, but here, it's yours"

3. I know Ghan, and I'm sure he wouldn't have done anything like this on purpose. Maybe he sent this map to someone else once he found your old map. Then he noticed either you were unactive or didn't know who created the map, so he just told whoever he gave the map to to just keep it as their own. "The creator is inactive." Many WCIII users go by this rule. Once you're unactive or not contactable, the user just gives a map to someone advising they shouldn't copy it, etc. But words are only words.
I don't think any respectable mapper would blatantly plagiarize off of someone else, even if they were inactive. I mean, it would be like taking research a dead scientist had never published and finishing it and claiming it as your own. Obviously the norms for plagiarism are not the same here as in academia. But for a veteran mapper it should be a given that you give credit where credit is due, or at least instruct your friends to if you send something to them.

4. Anything you post on the Internet is no longer yours. No matter how hard you try, you'll always end up being part of anonymous to the general public.
That's the reason why I sent it to a respect user rather than just posting it on thehelper.

Is there any more evidence you can provide?

Please provide the map file either as protected or unprotected.
See attached.

Attachments

• Russian Roulette.w3x
    72.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Russian Roulette v1.7d.w3x
    170.9 KB · Views: 223

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I doubt that anything I say is going to convince you, but I am not in the business of stealing maps.
To be quite honest, I am not that good of a mapmaker anyway - there are parts like terrain that I don't like doing, so I never get one finished. I usually finish some nice coding and stop there.

I have no idea who Dark.Revenant is and I do not hand out maps to anyone. Ever.
I did a search on my computer, and I still have the map, and it says that the map has not been modified since September of 2007. Here's a screenshot:

RussianRouletteMap.gif

If indeed your map was stolen, it was not due to anything I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.