Hardware issue

Anderzzon

Reaction score
So my computer is starting to act up. When I play games like Fallout NV, League of Legends and CoD: Black Ops. the screen sometimes dies, though the sound is still there for some time, then the sound goes into super slow-mo. After that I just switch it off and turn it back on and then it works fine. I am pretty sure it's a heat problem since if I turn off the shadows in LoL completely it works like a charm. So, two-part question, is my theory a valid one? If so: What component is most likely to be the one overheating? CPU or GPU (ohh please god let it be the GPU...).

I've vacuumed the dust filters and all that so the fans aren't blocked.

Thanks in advance!

/Anderzzon

Edit1: Spelling...

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
You can always use a benchmarking program to test the heat of you're processor, GPU etc. and give us some more info, try speedfan and tell us what you're temperatures are outside and inside gaming.

Anderzzon

Reaction score
You can always use a benchmarking program to test the heat of you're processor, GPU etc. and give us some more info, try speedfan and tell us what you're temperatures are outside and inside gaming.

Been using speedfan for years and years. :) Anyways it's about 35-40 outside and 60 tops inside, and that is really low, I know. So I have no idea what's wrong. I assumed it was the heat since last time I had this type of issue it was. Well the issue isn't exactly the same, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

If it's the motherboard (AGAIN!) I swear I'll... *mumbles*... with a melon... *mumbles*... and a fork through the... *mumbles*

/Anderzzon

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
If the speeds are low try using furmark to benchtest you're GPU, if it's fine than it's one less thing to worry about ^^

Anderzzon

Reaction score
Judging by the sound my computer makes when it's on the fans aren't too slow hehe. Also I have a fanless cooler for my CPU, which works really fine. So we are sorta back to square one?

It happened again yesterday when I was playing black ops, I can pro long it by quitting the matches in intermission and fiddle about with my classes and such before starting a new game, which, to me, sounds like the heat once more. But I could be wrong. This computer has worked so well for so long that I've lost my touch completely when it comes to indentifying and fixing hardware problems.

/Anderzzon

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
It could be anything then really xD

You can try using Memtest to check for faulty ram.
You can try a windows reinstall (or whatever OS you're using).
You can check for bad sectors on the hard disk.

Although mostly this would show a black screen, but i think the freezing in game like that is mostly the Graphics Card dying out ^^

Anderzzon

Reaction score
That's what it sounds like to me too. If it is it'll make me a very happy man considering I've been thinking about replacing it for a while.

I'll try to get a hold of another GPU and test it out. :)

/Anderzzon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.