How to virus in Warcraft III

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
People should stop suggesting using variables like %USERNAME% or something, the fact I've found is WC3 will only save to a literal path, so for my exact trick to work, there must be an exact, literal path where the OS will look and run things from on start. This means either the Startup folder in the start menu for Windows XP, or something like C:\autoexec.bat (which would be a brutal example if you use it, so I didn't). The operating system should be irrelevant, as long as there is somewhere to write to that gets run on startup..

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I only suggested using it inside *.vbs file which is obviously viable. Accname and DioD don't seem to get that.

and i think you dont get what i mean, in fact i think we both are talking about absolutely different things. what you are talking might be nice and good but it is not relevant to what i said at all, at least not for me.

DioD

Reaction score
they wont make patch just to fix this before someone started virus attacks with maps.

soo i suggest to start massive virus attacks on random bnet users to speed up patch production.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Blizzard will likely never patch the game again, let alone a worthwhile patch.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
I had a 5 minute wait time for solo last time I was on battle.net, on Northrend, which used to take 30 seconds as the displayed time; but really took 0.30 seconds... before sc2 came out. blizzard will likely never patch the game again, let alone a worthwhile patch.

DioD

Reaction score
blizard propably love to remove things.

hashtables + returnbug much more better then hashtables only.

trigger_newb

Reaction score
my 'friend' owns an internet cafe and he said half his computers got infected from viruses caused by playing warcraft 3 LOL; i wonder if this has anything to do with it...

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Blizzard has released a fix for this when playing online? Logging onto battle.net still doesn't bring up a patch, for me. Did they do a no-download fix like for the bytecode stuff initally, or anything..? :thdown:

I've heard nothing, but then again it took them a few months to patch the last security hole you uncovered.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
my 'friend' owns an internet cafe and he said half his computers got infected from viruses caused by playing warcraft 3 LOL; i wonder if this has anything to do with it...
I would not be surprised. Especially if they are running Windows XP.
it took them a few months to patch the last security hole you uncovered.
I actually find this really disturbing, that my bug report would go vastly ignored for this long, when it's already posted in a fully working format to the public. :thdown:

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I actually find this really disturbing, that my bug report would go vastly ignored for this long, when it's already posted in a fully working format to the public. :thdown:

Sure, it's disturbing, but Blizzard doesn't even update the game anymore.

They have to take people off of other jobs to fix it. They would have to get a new intimate feeling with the code, and then create a solution that will try to patch everything, without breaking anything.

Good work takes time, and the last patch they merely had to disable the return bug, and add some type checks under wrapper functions.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score

I fantastically doubt they are playing WarCraft III. 300% likely they are World of WarCraft zombies.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
I fantastically doubt they are playing WarCraft III. 300% likely they are World of WarCraft zombies.

I notice a lot of people playing Warcraft III in an Internet cafe, majority is DotA, but a few other maps are played .__.

Moogle

Reaction score
i think you dont really get what i was talking about.
if this is supposed to be a kind of "virus" then it shouldnt be my task to make it fit my computer. most probably someone else would make that virus map and try to spread it over the internet, for example to me. and hence he doesnt know on which harddrive windows is installed for me he wouldnt change C to D only to hit me you know? he doesnt think, "hmmm Accname doesnt have windows on C but on D, i should change the map shortly before he downloads and plays it to kick his ass" and i most probably wouldnt try to virus my own computer either.

of course, if what DioD said works then it isnt neccassary at all.

He doesn't have to know what hard drive letter you use. There are things you can do inside the script that make it work on your main drive: instead of putting D, for example, he can put %systemdrive% or something and it will work. You're hardly safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.