Report In 1990 a bee learned to clone herself - now her army of millions threaten other species

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the past three decades, a single individual bee has successfully created millions of clones of herself thanks to hitting a bizarre genetic jackpot.

This growing army of clones poses a serious risk to the hives of the African lowland honey bee, 10% of which are collapsing every year, as the colonies become filled with clones that consume their resources refuse to share in the work.

Scientists have described the bee's mechanism of reproduction as "incredible" and have traced the lineage back to a single worker bee that lived in 1990, according to research published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

It was previously known that the subspecies of Cape honeybee was capable of creating a perfect copy of itself, but this poses serious issues for genetic diversity.

Many forms of social insects are able to reproduce asexually, creating female offspring from unfertilised eggs using two of four chromosomes replicated from their parents.

These chromosomes are reshuffled in the process, meaning that the next generation will be genetically distinct - but there is a limit to how many generations can be reproduced in this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not good. I wish they would stop fucking with the bees because they perform such an intrinsic part of our existence. I hope this is not because of some genetic stuff.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This is not good. I wish they would stop fucking with the bees because they perform such an intrinsic part of our existence. I hope this is not because of some genetic stuff.
Unfortunately, this is a genetic incident that happened naturally. We can't stop it, unless we artificially re-engineer the genes with CRISPR or something to prevent this from continuing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.