RPG Insanity RPG (Help needed)

howlingwolf

Reaction score
Help needed!

I'm the sort of person who has good ideas, but is terrible at implimenting them. Normally I go onto the editor, mess around a bit, fail, and try a different idea.
This time, however, I think my idea is worth actually being completed.

What exactly is Insanity RPG?
Insanity is a map I thought of out of sheer boredom.
The idea is, two best friends are trapped in the nightmare made by a demon. In order to escape the nightmare, they must fight through it, and take down the avatar of the demon at the end.
The twist?
The Insanity meter.

Insanity meter?
Yup.
You see, instead of mana, the two characters have Sanity. The further away they get from each other, the more the meter decreases. Should the meter reach zero, the character in question turns insane, and the other will follow not long after.
To offset that, if the two characters are close enough, the Insanity meter will refill.

Sounds interesting. Tell us something about the characters?
Certainly!
You have two characters, Samuel and Keegan. Sam is hard hitting and good at evading damage, but has a low Sanity meter and low health. Keegan doesn't hit as hard, but is more durable.
At the beginning of the game, you choose a class for each character.
Sam has the option of being a Shamanist, a Hydromancer, or a Therian (werewolf). Keegan can choose to be a Vampirekin, a Pyromancer, or a Warlock.
Each class has 4 spells, a passive, and an Ultimate.

You said that instead of mana, you had Sanity. How does that work out?
Both Sam and Keegan have Sanity, instead of mana. As I said, the further away you are from each other, the faster the meter will decrease.
However, spells do not cost Sanity.
Most spells don't have a cost other then a cooldown. However, spells like Ravage, Leap for the Throat, Call the Beast and Final Gate cost Sanity points.
This makes classes like the Therian and Vampirekin more difficult to play as, because you'll be trying to conserve your Sanity and survive.
To make it a little easier, classes that rely on Sanity have a spell that replenishes it (Will of the Submissive, Centre Self and Spirit's Grip), that allows you to be a little less careful.

So why not simply stay together at all times? You'd never run out of Sanity.
True. Problem is, there are parts of this nightmare that you must traverse alone. Sometimes the path forks, and you must seperate to complete it. Also, some of the boss battles require you to seperate.

Boss battles?
Yep.
When I thought of the idea, I imagined that the map would be roguelike, in that every time you played, the nightmare would be different. So, at the end of the nightmare, the boss who you face at the end is different every time you play. Sometimes you'll be up against the Untouchable, who you must lure onto dangerous patches of magical ground because you can't hurt it directly, or maybe you'll be up against the Dark Mistress, who will sap your Sanity even if your characters are close enough to touch.
There will also be mini bosses, who have less deadly abilities, and who will drop useful items for the duo.

Items, you say.
Mmhm. Items that, for example, give you extra damage at the cost of Sanity, or items that increase your Sanity at the cost of disabling your passive ability.

Sounds tricky.
No doubt it is. This map is meant to be difficult, but not impossible. I want it to be easy to play, easy enough for a new player to finish it, but hard enough for an experienced player to swear at the screen.

Interesting... so what, exactly, do you need help with?
Well... to be honest, everything.
I've never asked for help here before, so I'm unsure exactly how it works.
But basically what I need, is help with the triggers, help with the terraining and help with custom icons and models. Ideas, sounds and music I'll cheerfully provide myself.

If you're interested in giving me a helping hand with this, then my MSN is [email protected] , and my email is the same. I'm currently in Australia, if that makes any difference at all.

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Sounds really cool. I would definitely play this map.

Unfortunately, I'm really busy with my current project and mostly with life. I wish you luck!

Out of curiosity, and for the other thehelper members reading this thread, what is your experience with Warcraft III mapmaking?

Also, would this be a singleplayer map?

howlingwolf

Reaction score
Sounds really cool. I would definitely play this map.

Unfortunately, I'm really busy with my current project and mostly with life. I wish you luck!

Out of curiosity, and for the other thehelper members reading this thread, what is your experience with Warcraft III mapmaking?

Also, would this be a singleplayer map?

Er. My experience is... non-existent. Sadly.

Single player, but with the option of 2 players. ^^

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
This seems like an interesting map, one that I would play. I'd like to help you out. I can navigate the world editor, the ideas are the part I always have trouble with but you seem to have this game figured out, which is good. Feel free to contact me via MSN at [email protected].

However,
I'm currently in Australia, if that makes any difference at all.
That's about a 12 hour difference from me. Might make working together difficult.

howlingwolf

Reaction score
This seems like an interesting map, one that I would play. I'd like to help you out. I can navigate the world editor, the ideas are the part I always have trouble with but you seem to have this game figured out, which is good. Feel free to contact me via MSN at [email protected].

However,

That's about a 12 hour difference from me. Might make working together difficult.

I added you on MSN. :3
I'm normally up past midnight/up before 7am anyway, so there shouldn't be too many issues working together. :3

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
I'd be willing to help out, maybe do some triggering if you have ideas for systems /spells that you don't know how to make. I can't be super involved, though.

I have an extensive background in GUI triggering and no JASS experience. I've made AoSs and other games (unreleased) and I'm also working on an RPG that I might put up here at some point. So if you have a question or you want me to write a trigger, just send me a message.

Also, if I do say so myself, I'm decent at terraining. I don't like messing with custom models, so if you want them you have to import them yourself... I also don't want to be stuck with terraining large areas. But I might be able to help out with that too.

Anyway, send me a PM anytime and I'll help if I have time. (Note: starting the 25th of July, and through most of August, I will be gone.)

RangerX

I am justice!
Reaction score
well i can help you from time to time with triggers not very advanced ... the most advanced thing i made is an spell system with upgrade an so on i only have yahoo sadly ;) [[email protected]] you can add me on IM and one ideea

make the ultimates chain themselves something like "Samuel and Keegan both have ultimates if they are close they have some encahments more dmg, range, new effects something like that ;)

Sneakster

Reaction score
I think it would be sweet if the characters had abilities that complimented each other, and the abilities would be more effective if their sanity meters were full.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Sneakster's idea actually does make a bit of sense. One who is almost insane will not be able to concentrate too much on making the full power of his abilities.

So what exactly happens when they go insane? I'd love to help out though!

PM me if you need my triggering assistance :p I'm very experienced in GUI and vJass.

Although I might be a bit busy at times if you don't mind.

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
This actually sounds like a very interesting map :D. I definitely don't mind helping with the triggers / abilities. I'm experienced in GUI only though :p.

Maybe when you're insane, you have a % to not cast your ability and a % to do something completely different? :p. Let's say you have an ability firestorm or whatever (AOE Damage). You cast it at a point, but it ends up somewhere else completely :p.

You could also do very cool effects with the camera to make people insane. You can tint the screen a certain colour or warp the camera view.

I was actually thinking of a way to have units appear and things happen that only 1 player can see. If I figuire out a way to do that, then you can have true insanity :p. Units appearing where they aren't, Doodads placed differently, not being able to walk around certain parts of map because you see a "wall" there. :D

howlingwolf

Reaction score
This actually sounds like a very interesting map :D. I definitely don't mind helping with the triggers / abilities. I'm experienced in GUI only though :p.

Maybe when you're insane, you have a % to not cast your ability and a % to do something completely different? :p. Let's say you have an ability firestorm or whatever (AOE Damage). You cast it at a point, but it ends up somewhere else completely :p.

You could also do very cool effects with the camera to make people insane. You can tint the screen a certain colour or warp the camera view.

I was actually thinking of a way to have units appear and things happen that only 1 player can see. If I figuire out a way to do that, then you can have true insanity :p. Units appearing where they aren't, Doodads placed differently, not being able to walk around certain parts of map because you see a "wall" there. :D

I actually wouldn't mind some help with the ideas, if possible.
RangerX is handling the triggers for me (and some of them are doozies), but I'm a little lacking on things that make the map truly insane.

So far I've got a maze that changes every 2 minutes, a never ending corridor (still having troubles figuring that out, tbh :p), and ghostly figures of friends that lead them towards items (or demons...).
Also, the bosses/sub bosses/some enemies are different every time you play.
In regards to cinema scenes, black flashes then different angles work best. <3 Like a broken TV screen.
Music isn't really an issue, 'cos I've got loads of freaky stuff saved on my machine. :p

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. <3

Sneakster's idea actually does make a bit of sense. One who is almost insane will not be able to concentrate too much on making the full power of his abilities.

So what exactly happens when they go insane? I'd love to help out though!

PM me if you need my triggering assistance I'm very experienced in GUI and vJass.

Although I might be a bit busy at times if you don't mind.

You guys do have a point there. However, most Ultimates cost Sanity to use, so if you're low on Sanity you can't cast the spells. :3

I've considered a few endings for when one runs out of Sanity; but it seems the easiest option is simply a game over and respawn. I thought of making the insane character go berserk and try to kill the remaining character, but even if the remaining character manages to survive, he'll turn nuts not soon after, 'cos his Sanity is steadily draining without a partner.
If anyone has any ideas, feel free to toss them my way ^^

In regards to help: RangerX has most of the triggers covered, and I'm handling music, spelling and grammar, the general feel of the map and so on; I'm basically tidying it up when it's done. What I wouldn't mind is someone who can do good cinema scenes, and someone who can do good terraining.

If anyone can help, that'd be brilliant. :3

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
I know a way to make a never ending corridor, but that's only if the camera is fixed over the unit. If it isn't....then it won't work out so well :p.

Also, item idea:

Unbreakable Bond:
Creates an unbreakable bond between the duo, separating only if either's sanity level drops below a certain point

howlingwolf

Reaction score
I know a way to make a never ending corridor, but that's only if the camera is fixed over the unit. If it isn't....then it won't work out so well :p.

Also, item idea:

Unbreakable Bond:
Creates an unbreakable bond between the duo, separating only if either's sanity level drops below a certain point

I've made a short excel sheet detailing the spells, the bosses and some items I've thought up, however this site doesn't support attached excel files >.<

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.