Internet Browsers

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Chrome isn't open source. :p

Chromium is.
Certain parts of Chrome are released under both the BSD license, and the Google Terms of Use.

tounge.png

firefox - because it has adblock

i have yet to see a capable ad-blocking solution for chrome or I.E.
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Chrome supports add-ons, they are called extensions. I don't know what are you guys on. Also, there are a few ad blocking extensions already, I'm using one called AdBlock.

And it's flawless. I've used it for quite some time and trust me, I sometimes visit websites with tons of ads and the blocker doesn't interfere with my surfing.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Chrome isn't Chromium. Chrome itself is closed source, end of story. They just happen to use some open source code for some of the browser.

"Chromium is the same as Google Chrome, but with a different-colored logo and without Google tracking features installed."

Huh?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
but look at this

Chromium is the open source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code

So basically. Chromium is the test version of google chrome where developers can work on it. I think

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
ElderKingpin I believe you are correct, chrome itself is not open source, but chromium is. Also, I like firefox because it has personas and noscript.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
"Chromium is the same as Google Chrome, but with a different-colored logo and without Google tracking features installed."

Huh?

There are many more subtle differences, but anyhow the fact is Google Chrome is not the same thing as Chromium, and Google Chrome is closed source. This isn't a debate; it's a fact.

It's like trying to say that webkit is the same thing as Safari but webkit is open source whilst Safari isn't.

sqrage

Reaction score
There are many more subtle differences, but anyhow the fact is Google Chrome is not the same thing as Chromium, and Google Chrome is closed source. This isn't a debate; it's a fact.

It's like trying to say that webkit is the same thing as Safari but webkit is open source whilst Safari isn't.

No, because webkit is only a part of the browser, not the entire browser itself.

Read this if you are confused about what Chromium is: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=380b7ffc5d845696&hl=en

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
so chrome is open source? or chromium is chrome, but chromium is open source, so does that make chrome open source?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I open Firefox, I have to wait 30 seconds.

When I open Google Chrome, I have to wait 2 seconds.

I choose Google Chrome because I'm impatient. :)

ReVolver

Reaction score
When I open Firefox, I have to wait 30 seconds.

When I open Google Chrome, I have to wait 2 seconds.

I choose Google Chrome because I'm impatient. :)

That's because firefox gets overloaded by 3rd party plugins you install, it has to launch them and also check for updates.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
ive loaded a lot of plugins into chrome. it stills loads pretty fast. Chrome opens in about 1-2 seconds constantly. Firefox is about 4-5 for me, my only problem is probably the large taskbar at the top of the screen.

Winterherz

Reaction score
based on my experience...if u want a fast startup time, Comodo Dragon (a google spinoff) is by far the fastest browser out there...even faster than Google Chrome

CNET review
A browser developed by a company that is best known for its firewall software can leave people feeling more secure about their Internet usage. Comodo Dragon will pull up a bright-yellow caution message warning people that sending information may be unsafe when they are entering a Web site with an unstable security certificate. One such message pops up even when logging into large sites like Facebook. Also, Dragon does not send browsing information to a remote server.

Based on simple timer tests run on Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3, the average cold start-up time was 4.53 seconds, warm start-up was 0.92s, and navigation time from nytimes.com to facebook.com was 0.87s. Comodo Dragon proves to have slightly faster page-loading speed than Google Chrome 5.0.375.70, which had results of 5.71s, 1.27s, and 1.23s, respectively. However, in Sunspider JavaScript benchmark testing, Comodo Dragon received an average score of 929.6 milliseconds, whereas Google got 734ms. Based on these results, Google may have faster JavaScript performance than Comodo.

I recomment everyone on this thread to try it, before you judge it

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
its kinda funny how a lot of people couldnt care less about what browser they use :/, yet at the same time a lot of people argue over what browser they use

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
I prefer Google Chrome.

Loads fast for my needs, has the plugins I want, and has a nice sleek design.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.