LOD install problems

W

Weesa

Hello one and all.

I have, by now, unistalled and reinstalled my DII expansion 20-25 times....every time I get the same unspecific error msg: "This installation has a bad data file, you should uninstall and reinstall". Need I say this is getting pretty frustrating? I have chatted with blizz in their tech support channel, sent them loooong e-mails including all my log files etc etc and tried all of the fixes they suggest but no such luck.

The game runs anyway, but crashes with error messages varying from access violation to error decompressing sprite to bad data file: xxxx.cpp to having to reboot because my system completely freezes.

My specs are:
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1gh (not overclocked)
ASUS Geforce 2 MX 32 MB
Soundblaster Live Player 5.1
ASUS A7v133 motherboard
Currently with win 98 SE installed

I have all the latest drivers from the respective vendors. For my vid card, I use the NVidia drivers. I have installed the VIA 4 in one drivers. I have reformatted, defragged, reinstalled windows...you name it.
I have tried all the different cache settings for my CD - which is a philips PCRW804 - and I have tried manually copying the files from my DII playdisc to my hd and removing the 'read-only' option.

This is getting beyond me. I do hope that somebody can come up with some suggestions with what I can try next.

//Weesa

K

KenaiKrusher2

I have the Identical Problem, as do many people from reading these forums. Specs:

Abit KT7E
1.2GHZ no OC yet
384 MB PC133 SDRAM Cas3
Monster MX300
Promise Fastrack66 (RAID 0)

I did the Format/Uninstall/Clean Registry/ Latest Drivers/ DirectX 8.0,8.1./ etc....

No fix has worked.

Sorry for the no fix, just had to post!

W

Weesa

Hey, at least somebody knows how I feel...

frown.gif

That does actually help a little, because up until now I thought I was the only one with this particular stupid error.

//Weesa "about-to-throw-computer-out-window"

B

BigBOB

I have that same sometimes. Other times it installs, I apply the patch & it says it was succesful. When I try to run it, it either locks up the comp or gets into the character screen then gives me an unhandled exception when I try to enter a game (even single player).
I've tried installing from 2 different LOD disks, & I've tried installing on another computer, where it worked just fine.
Seems like it's something specific to the computer where I'm getting the errors, but I've yet to figure it out.

G

I’ve got the same error. I tried to apply a few solutions but nothing worked out. I even reinstalled Windows 98 and after switched to Windows ME bu everything with no success. I checked whatever was posted on the Internet but everybody asks for a solution and nobody has a good idea how to cure the problem. Blizzard talks about a kind of virus regarding that but it’s not a virus issue.

After a few days I figured out that the problem occurs on some systems with Athlon running on mobos based on chipset KT133 or KT133A (mine is based on KT133A). I guess the chipset drivers cause some flaws under both Windows but don’t expect VIA to come up with a fix it in a next version of 4in1 drivers just because of somebody’s problems with Diablo 2 LOD installation.

The checksum error would maybe be fixed if ECC memory is used. ECC memory fixes such errors by itself but you can’t enable ECC in KT133 and KT133A-based systems because these chipsets don’t support ECC.

So far there is no fix to this problem but there is a solution!

Simply install Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD under Windows 2000. You will have error-free installation. Windows 2000 installs different chipset drivers from the same set of VIA 4in1 drivers and has dissimilar handling of them compering to Windows 98 and ME.

That’s what I came up with. It works!

W

Weesa

Thanks for your reply.

It does confuse me... I have tried installing LOD under win 2k, with the same error message. I am, however, having a lot of problems with installing 2k successfully on this system. Last thing I heard there's a problem with my motherboard (somedy had the same issue with the same mb and win 2k) and ASUS will replace it. Since I bought it over the internet, that just means more waiting for me.
frown.gif

J

Jumpin

i cant even get my LOD to install at all, even though d2 installed fine. it wont autorun, and when i explore, and click on SETUP or INSTALL, either nothing happens, or a screen pops up saying it has generated errors, and will have to be shut down. I dont have any AMD stuff. advice?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You should probably give your system specs for most information.

J

jumpin

compaq deskpro EN 733mhz p3, 392 mb ram, 80 gb drive and 10 gb drive. i dont know what sort of specifics your lookin for here

H

holymaniac

I’ve got the same error. I tried to apply a few solutions but nothing worked out. I even reinstalled Windows 98 and after switched to Windows ME bu everything with no success. I checked whatever was posted on the Internet but everybody asks for a solution and nobody has a good idea how to cure the problem. Blizzard talks about a kind of virus regarding that but it’s not a virus issue.

After a few days I figured out that the problem occurs on some systems with Athlon running on mobos based on chipset KT133 or KT133A (mine is based on KT133A). I guess the chipset drivers cause some flaws under both Windows but don’t expect VIA to come up with a fix it in a next version of 4in1 drivers just because of somebody’s problems with Diablo 2 LOD installation.

The checksum error would maybe be fixed if ECC memory is used. ECC memory fixes such errors by itself but you can’t enable ECC in KT133 and KT133A-based systems because these chipsets don’t support ECC.

So far there is no fix to this problem but there is a solution!

Simply install Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD under Windows 2000. You will have error-free installation. Windows 2000 installs different chipset drivers from the same set of VIA 4in1 drivers and has dissimilar handling of them compering to Windows 98 and ME.

That’s what I came up with. It works!

i have a problem with the d2talk.mpq file it wont install it at all. do you have any suggestions. even after i formatted my pc......

D

DarkWanderer

holymaniac said:
i have a problem with the d2talk.mpq file it wont install it at all. do you have any suggestions. even after i formatted my pc......

I got the Same Problem, anyone already got a solution??

Negafox

Friend of TheHelper.net
Reaction score
In all honesty, the possibilities can be endless on the culprit. There is no "one size fits all" answer to technical support.

If you can, try another set of discs. Borrow the discs from a friend if you must. If the problem still persists, then it is your system. If the problem goes away, it might be bad or damaged disc.

Another thing you can try is to install the game on another computer. If the game installs fine with your discs, then it is likely your system. If this is the case, it is most likely faulty hardware (usually the CD/DVD-ROM drive). Try cleaning the discs with a dry cloth and spraying out the drive with compressed air. If you system is a bit old, the CD/DVD-ROM drive might be dirty or faulty from age. Mechanical components have a tendancy to fail with age.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.