Map Crashing

Xebarsis

Reaction score
I've searched through all my triggers, tested as many triggers as I can, and have found nothing that could cause my map to crash. I've also cleaned as many memory leaks as I could find, but unfortunately my map still crashes occasionally.

For a game that has a tendency to crash, is there anything else I can do to help prevent it? Or perhaps there's some kind of program that can detect triggers that could potentially crash? Any advice would be appreciated.

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
Funny thing is most crashes are not caused by Triggers...

Using the Same buff on different abilities can cause a crash....

Putting a Spell book within the same spell book can cause a crash...

Basically i'm just saying, check your object editor as well...

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>Funny thing is most crashes are not caused by Triggers...
Who told you that nonsense?

Though, it would be good to check other things. Make sure that one building cannot upgrade into itself, or into a building that upgrades into the original. Make sure any tech tree dependencies are not circular, etc.

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
>Funny thing is most crashes are not caused by Triggers...
Who told you that nonsense?

Though, it would be good to check other things. Make sure that one building cannot upgrade into itself, or into a building that upgrades into the original. Make sure any tech tree dependencies are not circular, etc.

I've learned from personal experience... I'm 100% positive his crashes are object editor related~

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
97% of my crashes are trigger caused. Wait, in fact, I've never had an object editor crash.

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
97% of my crashes are trigger caused. Wait, in fact, I've never had an object editor crash.

Triggers deal with objects so they involve your object editor 100% of the time, unless all yours triggers are just based on nothing but variables.

Every spell trigger requires a object from the object editor, first of course the initial spell that is being cast (you just used something from the object editor!) and of course depending on if the spell adds a unit, buff, ability, upgrade, w/e.

----

I never said anything about a direct crash from the object editor, hes using a unit, ability, upgrade, w/e to cause a crash within the game. So it can still be trigger related as a lot of triggers deal with the use of custom abilities, custom units, custom upgrades. Therefore he should be looking in his object editor for any mistakes that may cause a in-game crash, usually the objects hes using in his triggers would be a good start.

Xebarsis

Reaction score
Funny thing is most crashes are not caused by Triggers...

Using the Same buff on different abilities can cause a crash....

Putting a Spell book within the same spell book can cause a crash...

Basically i'm just saying, check your object editor as well...

I think in my case it's likely that it is the objector editor because I added 43 custom abilities from my last version.. which is a gigantic amount. I know I have several abilities that share the same type of buff, but with a different name. Would multiple buffs of the same type but different name cause crashes?

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
I think in my case it's likely that it is the objector editor because I added 43 custom abilities from my last version.. which is a gigantic amount. I know I have several abilities that share the same type of buff, but with a different name. Would multiple buffs of the same type but different name cause crashes?

Yes sir, my first Ice Mage class had this in vanilla DORPG, was wondering for days why my game was crashing... Now for every ability I have that requires a buff I use a custom buff... The Buffs need to be different and custom, even if they share the same name as long as its not the same buff it won't crash...

The crash occurs when you do exactly what your described. You cast a buff on a unit with lets say ability 'A001', that has buff ID 'B000', then you cast another buff on a unit using ability 'A002', that has the same buff 'B000', right there you just caused a crash. I used to do stuff like this purposely to crash the game when people would cheat :)

Certain abilities do stack like Stun doesn't need to be changed, when making summoned units abilities if your getting tired of making custom buffs just use the Summoned Unit buff that's already made.

Btw love your avatar, huge fan of EQ1 :)

Xebarsis

Reaction score
I'm quite unfamiliar with IDs, I just looked in the object editor and couldn't find it in the abilities or buffs section. What do I need to do in order to give my buffs a different ID?

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean to be confusing... The ID is given when you create the buff, so as long as your making a new buff the ID will change automatically... :)

I was just using the raw data view as a example, if you hit ctrl+d while in the object editor and under your buff list tab you will see what i mean by 'B000' etc...

Xebarsis

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean to be confusing... The ID is given when you create the buff, so as long as your making a new buff the ID will change automatically... :)

I was just using the raw data view as a example, if you hit ctrl+d while in the object editor and under your buff list tab you will see what i mean by 'B000' etc...

Alright, so just to clarify.

1. If I copy a buff, and rename the copied buff, that is bad and could potentially cause a crash?

2. If I select new custom buff/effect, this is the correct way to do it and will not cause a crash?

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
Alright, so just to clarify.

1. If I copy a buff, and rename the copied buff, that is bad and could potentially cause a crash?

2. If I select new custom buff/effect, this is the correct way to do it and will not cause a crash?

Copy all you want.... Just dont use only one buff for all abilities....

Xebarsis

Reaction score
Copy all you want.... Just dont use only one buff for all abilities....

Hum, well I haven't done that. I have a different buff for every ability I've created, but I copied default ones and renamed them to get the buffs. If that's not a problem, then I'm not sure why I'm having these crashing issues.

It probably does have something to do with abilities in my game though because the crashing is much more likely to happen when I have "WTF mode" turned on, which makes all cooldowns reset immediately and give units infinite mana.

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
I suggest just double checking your abilities... If it happens on WTF mode then i'm pretty sure your spamming abilities and two of them are sharing something they shouldn't...

Xebarsis

Reaction score
I suggest just double checking your abilities... If it happens on WTF mode then i'm pretty sure your spamming abilities and two of them are sharing something they shouldn't...

Hmm, I did find something. It would be really awesome if it was the culprit, but I don't know.

Trigger:
  • Explosive Shot Part 1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Explosive Shot (New)
    • Actions
      • Set ThePoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Arrow for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at ThePoint facing Default building facing degrees

Trigger:
  • Trigger - Add to Elemental Storm Part 3 <gen> the event (Unit - (Target unit of ability being cast) Takes damage)

Trigger:
  • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_ThePoint)

Right in the middle I had an error of a leftover command in the trigger. Here's where it added the event to:

Trigger:
  • Elemental Storm Part 3
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Elemental Storm (Neutral Hostile)
    • Actions
      • Set TheOtherPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at TheOtherPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 10.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Blizzard (Neutral Hostile) to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Archmage - Blizzard TheOtherPoint
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_TheOtherPoint)

I know using explosive shot wouldn't crash the game, but is there a possibility that this combination of events could cause the game to crash?

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
Hmm, I did find something. It would be really awesome if it was the culprit, but I don't know.

Trigger:
  • Explosive Shot Part 1
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Explosive Shot (New)
    • Actions
      • Set ThePoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Arrow for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at ThePoint facing Default building facing degrees

Trigger:
  • Trigger - Add to Elemental Storm Part 3 <gen> the event (Unit - (Target unit of ability being cast) Takes damage)

Trigger:
  • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Attack (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_ThePoint)

Right in the middle I had an error of a leftover command in the trigger. Here's where it added the event to:

Trigger:
  • Elemental Storm Part 3
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Elemental Storm (Neutral Hostile)
    • Actions
      • Set TheOtherPoint = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at TheOtherPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add a 10.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add Blizzard (Neutral Hostile) to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Archmage - Blizzard TheOtherPoint
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_TheOtherPoint)

I know using explosive shot wouldn't crash the game, but is there a possibility that this combination of events could cause the game to crash?

Yes your adding a trigger where the Unit takes damage and the actions are making shit for a CASTING UNIT which does not exist.

Xebarsis

Reaction score
Well, that's the only lead I have so I guess I'll be releasing another version of my map, and I'll hope for the best. :thup: Thanks for your help.

Xebarsis

Reaction score
Aughh.. my map still crashes and I'm not sure why. NONE of my triggers crash when activated once, or even several times. There's so much shit happening in my game that it's literally impossible to test or even conceive every combination of things that could possibly happen.

Usually it happens about 20 minutes into the game, and I just realized it happens regardless of -wtf mode or not. I know it's hard to know how to help me since none of you made my map, but I would really appreciate any other help on how I could possibly fix my crashing.

I've also only been having this issue since I added the immense number of custom abilities.

Defi4nc3

Developer of DORPG
Reaction score
I can look at it if you email it to me I suppose... Other than that, I can't really point out the obvious unless I had the list of triggers :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.