US News Middle School Students in Washington Start a Real-Life "Fight Club"

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The Social Network director David Fincher once described his 1999 film Fight Club as being about "a guy who does not have a world of possibilities in front of him, he has no possibilities, he literally cannot imagine a way to change his life." Maybe this description of despair, which afflicted Brad Pitt and Edward Norton in the movie, is what's wrong with a group of boys at Steward Middle School in Tacoma, Washington. Instead of attending an after school program, almost 25 boys have been participating in a real-life fight club. They've been meeting up in a school bathroom for months just to beat each other down. And they've been filming the fights on their cell phones.

The fight club only came to light last Friday night after one of the boys broke "the first rule of Fight Club" and talked about what was going on. His aunt asked him what he liked to do after school, so he showed her cell phone video footage of some of the fights. The aunt—who wants to remain anonymous—went to Seattle's Fox News Q13 and gave a reporter the footage. The station aired it on Sunday night, and the school responded by suspending nine sixth graders that they could positively identify.

Tacoma Public Schools representative Dan Voelpel said that just like in the film, the student fights were timed and had similar rules, like no hitting in the face. The few students who are talking to the media say the fighting was just for fun. One anonymous boy told Q13 that everyone in the club is friends with each other, and,

if anyone was really getting hurt, all they had to do is say stop...and that's when it would end the fight. There was maybe like a small bloody lip but no one was really crying and stuff.

Read the news here.

pr0-assasin

Reaction score
This is great because when they permanently hurt themselves ie. paralyze. We have 25 less dumbasses to worry about in the future.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
For some reason I seriously doubt they would paralyze each other. And on the contrary, they'd probably get for more attention than you if one of them got paralyzed.

pr0-assasin

Reaction score
I could care less if they get more attention than me. I'm not trying to get on the news by fighting 6th graders.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
id do it. itd make my life a bit more interesting. oh and itd make me tuffer

KillerChi

Reaction score
I hate that town. Extremely ghetto with drive-by drills at some schools. No surprise for me.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I don't think they were necessarily TRYING to get on the news. However there are worse ways people have done that (I recall a little boy that was not in a weather balloon as promised....). To be honest it sounds kinda like fun, my friends and I fought all the time when we were younger. We probably still would but no one lives close together anymore.

And Tacoma ain't that bad dawg. I mean it's not much fun there, but I've never really felt in 'danger' when I'm up there regardless of where I go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.