Need some help for my Win98SE

M

MachitoMan

I need to tweak my computer a lot

I haven't been on it for 4 months and it has been in storage. My computer is really slow now and when i try to play games, the games sometime crash. Or when I open programs, it takes forever to open.

I was wondering you you folks can help me out and give me some links/tips/guides to tweak my computer up a bit in any area (ex. memeroy, speed, drivers, etc.).

I just want my old dinosaur to run as fast as it used to... 4 months ago :-O

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

One question; I have a cable modem that is "suposed" to go 256kb up/down. When i download something... it goes slower than a 56k! About 30kb/sec or less. What is up with this? Is it my computer? IP Proivder? or What?!

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
http://www.dslreports.com/tools

go there run the tweak stuff download DRTCP and set you MTU to 1500 and your RWIN to 250000

run the tweak again and set the MTU and RWIN as indicated in the test

also eliminate all the unneeded background tasks. Here is a site that tells you which of the startupfiles are required/needed. to get to your startup files do the following

start
run
msconfig
look at the start up tab

then go here to see what those tasks do:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startu...tartup_full.htm

opps some how I got logged off I posted this post

M

MachitoMan

i went to dslreports.com, took the tweak test, changed my RWIN and MTU. Nada, its still the same :(

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
well 30kbytes per second is a lot faster than a 56k modem...

are you sure it isn't supposed to be 256 kilobits per second... because that works out roughly 30 kilobytes per second.

'Cause 256 kilobytes per second is pretty fast for a cable modem - that's 2 megabits/sec which is good but not unheard of for cable (mine goes that fast under good conditions)

(1 byte = 8 bits)

Or maybe you are right and the cable is acting slow. You can't change that kind of thing too much though, its usually your ISP's network or the strength of the cable signal. And of course with cable you will only get the full speed advertised by the ISP at crazy times like 3am under perfect conditions unless you have a specific service guarantee.

M

MachitoMan

really? thats fast?
how fast does cable usally go?

before i moved, i had cable, it went about 200-300kb/sec for only $30/month (really good deal)

now i got a new service and it goes 30kb/sec. Its supposed to go 256kb/sec (up/down for $40/month with no rent on box) just what the advertisement said, and just want the tech. said.

i probably should mention that my IP is private.. (dont know if that has some affect) becuase thats the way the company has it set. if i want a public IP, i have to pay an additonal $50/month. but they told me if i wait a month (end of march or so), they will convert all of thier IPs to public. So my IP should be public by then.

what should i do? should i call them and ask them why im getting x - 30 when im paying for 256?

I

Idiot's_Revenge

www.speedtest.com will give you a better understanding on how your connection rates against others at least i think thats the URL if not search google " speedtest " you get alot of results, the main thing to remember about cable connection's is that your download speed depends mostly on how many people are on the same node as you , if you have a node with lots of people and some of them run servers and suck up all the bandwidth you gonna be slow as for calculating the kilobytes to megabites or what ever that stuff still confugles the crap outa me i really should learn it better one of these days. I personally have used a program called Ispeed to tweak MTU etc.. for Win98 SE http://www.hms.com. I have found setting the MTU to 1492 is best for win98 but that is my personal experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.