Not your typical server split

pandamoniuma

Reaction score
This server split happens when I modify the terrain. In its current state, the map is fine, but if I add cliffs, boom, server split right at the start.

Any idea on why adjusting the terrain would corrupt the map?

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
I think he's trying to say are you editing the terrain through get local player? IF you edit terrain for say 1 player only it de-syncs.

pandamoniuma

Reaction score
just regular terrain editing

i do apply cliff: increase one, from the terrain menu, and the next time host, boom, server split at the start

pandamoniuma

Reaction score
you mean when you host it?

yea

i host the map right now, its fine

if i go and adjust cliff sizes, it will server split the next time i host it

i can still do "Apply: Height", but if I use "Apply: Cliff" at all, it server splits at the start when i host it

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Changing terrain on initialization is a bad idea.
Perhaps put it zero second timer?

pandamoniuma

Reaction score
noooo lol im not doing anything at runtime

i host the map now, its fine, no server split

i come back later, use apply cliff: increase, save the map, host it, server split at the start

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Your server split is happening because you are editing terrain?
Try using "calculate shadows and save map" option

pandamoniuma

Reaction score
pretty sure i have been using that

this is obscure i know =( kinda pisses me off i spent so much time making sure i had no memory leaks or any other things that usually cause splits, and then something ridiculous as the terrain is now doing it, i mean wtf

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
I have heard of that before.
One man was reporting something like this at wc3c and finally got so pissed that he left mapmaking altogether.

Terrain simply gets fucked-up sometimes for some reason.

Solution?
Make a new one and import triggers from the old map into it.

LordOglog

Reaction score
Are you playing with people who have already downloaded the map and have not changed map name (i.e. form v0.75 to v0.76) If their computer thinks it has the right map but really doesn't it might screw up. (note only an idea no factual basis)

pandamoniuma

Reaction score
I have heard of that before.
One man was reporting something like this at wc3c and finally got so pissed that he left mapmaking altogether.

Terrain simply gets fucked-up sometimes for some reason.

Solution?
Make a new one and import triggers from the old map into it.

yea, i think i am going to do that

is there a way to also import gameplay constants and game interface changes? because ive made a lot of those and its the main reason i didnt wana start all over lol

Cohadar

master of fugue
Reaction score
Are you playing with people who have already downloaded the map and have not changed map name (i.e. form v0.75 to v0.76) If their computer thinks it has the right map but really doesn't it might screw up. (note only an idea no factual basis)

Shit totally possible.
+rep for good thinking.

pandamoniuma

Reaction score

that may be possible, sometimes i dont change the version number when i make small adjustments, but ive noticed a pattern here with modifying the terrain and server split happening, because i went through a huge process of elimination of what could be causing it (triggers, objects, etc)

i stumbled on it because one time i loaded a previous version of the map, and then all i did was add more cliffs, and the server split happened, i did it a few more times to confirm and it was definetly the cause

T

Tubba

So, let me get you straight.

1. Map works fine
2. You go into terrain editor, add a cliff, save.
3. You host
4. People join
5. You start, server split

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.