RAM memory installation problem

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Hello. I faced some strange problem when i was about to install my new RAM memory. I have 4 sockets on my motherboard, 2 red, and 2 purple. The purple ones are already occupied. When I insert my new one in the red socket, my screen won't turn on and my mouse won't work.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of motherboard? What kind of Ram? How much new ram are you adding? Have you tried pulling the existing ram and replacing it with new and just running off of that? (would tell you if your new ram was compatible)

Cornface

Reaction score
Motherboard= Jetway 917PDCP
Old RAM= Don't know, but it was DDR (1) 2x 524 mb
New RAM= Adata DDR2 667 1x 1024 mb

I plan on have both the old ram and the new ram , so I get a total of 2000mb ram memory, but this doesn't seem to work.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
You should replace the old Ram with the new Ram, switch the slots in other words and try that. New DDR2 Fast Ram in the first slot and slower stuff in the second slot. This is not the optimimum configuration I believe. Ideally you want the same type and speed Ram because I believe having that old Ram cranks down the new ram to match that old Ram.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Obviously, you didn't read your manual before buying the RAM:

WARNING:
Users only can install either 184-pin DDR RAM Module or 240-pin DDR2 RAM Module at same time ,DDR RAM Module and DDR2 RAM Module can not work together

It's either DDR1 OR DDR2, not a mix of both.

Cornface

Reaction score
Actually got it as a christmas gift from a relative. But if DDR1 and DDR2 can't work together, that explains the problem.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Ask for another gift, as that one is of no real use. :D
Like ... another GB of DDR2 RAM.

Cornface

Reaction score
I noticed something strange, when I ONLY used my new RAM memory, I had the same problem, the screen went power saving mode and my mouse didn't work. So something is obviously very wrong. I am going to switch the RAM memory today, but I need a clue what to switch to, so it's rather critical I know what's wrong.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Well your original problem was that you were trying to use two totally different kinds of Ram in your computer which your motherboard does not support. This problem with the new Ram, I am not sure, but since it is DDR2 instead of regular DDR you might have to make a change in your Bios setup screen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.