RAM upgrade

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with 2 x 1024 MByte of RAM. Because RAM is pretty inexpensive atm and with Vista+ iTunes + Crysis my RAM is full, I would like to buy another Gigabyte.

I went to the Dell website(I used the german version, should be the same anywhere though) and looked at the possible RAM.

Now my question is, which module do I have to buy? There are two 1 Gbyte with only different serial numbers. Which one do I have to get?

Also, I have two black slots free, the two white ones are full on my mobo. Does that matter? They are all the same besides the color(same RAM type)

Thanks

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Just pick your modules here.

You should have a dual channel mainboard, so you have to buy two identical modules: 2x512MB and not 1x1024MB.

EDIT (in case you don't know): 32bit Windows can't access more than 3.12GB RAM, unless you enable PAE (which might cause problems with 3rd party drivers), so if you decide to buy 2x1GB instead of 2x512MB, don't expect having 4GB available.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks.

I know that about the ram but isn't it 4 Gbyte - Vram that 32bit supports?

Reaction score
>32bit Windows versions only support 3.12GB RAM.
I have 32bit Windows with four RAM sticks of 512MB, so total RAM is 2046MB. What would be the best way to pump it up to 3.12GB RAM?

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
buy two 1 Gigabyte Sticks and get rid of two 512 probably. RAM is very inexpensive atm, DDR3 is the reason I guess.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.