Tutorial Reducing MP3 File Size

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Reducing MP3 File Size!
By Thanatos_820

Yes! This is possible! Just follow my simple & short tutorial and you'll eventually do it!

Okay, this tutorial is made for people who want music in their maps, or sounds in MP3 format. I have a way to make the file half its size, with almost no difference when played! It's done in 3 EASY steps.

Requirements:
-Ease Audio Converter (Just Download, don't buy)
-A MP3 Music/Sound file

1. Retrieving the File
First off, you've just opened Ease Audio Converter, your handy useful program. Now, if you encounter that registering thing or whatever, just X out and the program screen will appear. Now, once you've successfully opened the program, click the "Add" button and find an MP3 file (Or whatever, a music file at least) to be heavily compressed (But barely a difference when played :), that's the good part).

2. Playing with the Settings
Now, before doing ANYTHING, click the Settings tab. Once opened, click the MP3 tab, you will see the options that will determine the compression, click "Customer Quality" in the General options. Now, you've selected the compression type.

3. Converting the MP3 File
Now, right click the file and sift through the Convert tab, then click MP3 in the Convert tab. Notice that you will see the progress bar at the low right corner of the window, now...this may take a while depending on the file size. Once it's complete, compare the compressed one and the original file. The compressed file lost half (Well, on my files it did) of it's size, but it has almost no difference when played.

Conclusion
When completed, happily do something with the compressed file, import it, play it, or whatever you do with it. You can do this to multiple music files that you choose to compress, they will be smaller, but will play as if you did nothing to it almost (I've detected no difference with my ears, but maybe you can).

Feedback is welcome, I hope this helped you all a little bit with MP3 size problems :).

pheonixashes

Those who misplace trust in gods learn their fate.
Reaction score
Good Job.

Nice tutorial, this will really help on larger maps and movie-based maps...

(Off-Topic) W00t!!!! 100th post. Finally.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Great tutorial, this can really help. +rep
Just wondering, you said "but it has almost no difference when played." What is the difference? I will probably test this soon. Great tutorial anywayz!

HEAD BANGER!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Great tutorial, this can really help. +rep
Just wondering, you said "but it has almost no difference when played." What is the difference? I will probably test this soon. Great tutorial anywayz!

I'm not sure what the difference is, its opinion is varied among others, to me, there's no difference, unless somebody has really sensitive ears and can hear the difference between the original and compressed music file.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
128kbps to 64kbps OR 320kbps to 160kbps? the latter will make little difference, but the former will hurt you, A LOT.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Thanks Thanatos_820, I was just curious...

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Thanks Thanatos_820, I was just curious...

No problem ;).

128kbps to 64kbps OR 320kbps to 160kbps? the latter will make little difference, but the former will hurt you, A LOT.

I didn't say to alter that, leave it default, or you can change it the way you like, just depends, all I asked was to alter this:

Now, before doing ANYTHING, click the Settings tab. Once opened, click the MP3 tab, you will see the options that will determine the compression, click "Customer Quality" in the General options. Now, you've selected the compression type.

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
Hmm... I tried this out, and my music file went from 1.46 MB to 3.92 MB. Tried again with a new file, and it went from 1.12 MB to 2.99 MB. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong here. Oh well.

F

fxfighter

great done!

it relly works it went 4x lesser size but i lost half the song?
did i do something wrong or?:banghead:

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
mm just like dietmp3

I dunno what program that is, but I guess you'll tell me that it's a similar program to Ease Audio Converter.

Hmm... I tried this out, and my music file went from 1.46 MB to 3.92 MB. Tried again with a new file, and it went from 1.12 MB to 2.99 MB. I dunno if I'm doing something wrong here. Oh well.

Try playing with the options, and change the General options to Customer Quality (If you did then, I'll see what the problem was).

o_O files become bigger?

It's suppose to decrease the size of the MP3 music file, not increase.

it relly works it went 4x lesser size but i lost half the song?
did i do something wrong or?:banghead:

How long was your song and did you follow my directions correctly (I tested on a 3.11 minute long music and nothing was lost, you've probably been skipping something...)?

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
a good tool for large maps.

But whats the function of the CD to MP3 maker in audiotool.net when u use it???

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
the bottom line is you cannot make mp3s any smaller if they are reasonably small for games (64-96kbps).

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot that you can't compress an MP3 file more than once (Obviously, unless you though you could).

hasslarn

Reaction score
Werry good Tutraial
thank now i can convert music to mp3 finaly :) i can make a sound for my game

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.