Second HDD on fresh Win7.

Kurogamon

Reaction score
So I've bought parts and assembled a decent new computer, installed Win7 64-bit and device drivers. I have my old HDD in the case and connected, but it has some strange performance problems.

Here's a couple things I noticed:
1. Both the BIOS and Win7 recognize it and can access it.
2. I have MASSIVELY reduced Windows Explorer performance on any page relating to the second HDD. The speed renders it nearly unusable.
3. My boot time has gone up 4-5 minutes.
4. Chkdisk runs during startup, and at the rate it's going, it's going to take several HUNDRED hours to finish (It does about 4 sectors per minute.). I usually cancel, and it goes on to boot with no problems.
5. I didn't change any jumpers around, and the motherboard manual had said something about hardware settings.

Other details:
1. The computer is newly assembled, and thus likely with minor assembly errors. Everything seems to work right though.
2. The second HDD shares an IDE cable with the CD drive. The CD drive has nothing in it.
3. There was some minor jostling of the hard drives while I was moving things around.
4. The Seagate HDD is on IDE Channel 3 Master, the Western Digital HDD is on IDE Channel 4 Slave.

I haven't extensively tested, and there were some minor programs installed on Win7. What might be the problem here?

Hardware:

Processor: Intel Core i7-920
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS, uses SATA.
Second HDD: Western Digital, model unknown, but uses an IDE cable.
Graphics Card: Radeon HD 5870

Nothing overclocked or modified from stock.

Thanks guys.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So it works fine without the (crappy) IDE drive?

Wait a minute....

"4. The Seagate HDD is on IDE Channel 3 Master, the Western Digital HDD is on IDE Channel 4 Slave"
"HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS, uses SATA."

Kurogamon

Reaction score
"4. The Seagate HDD is on IDE Channel 3 Master, the Western Digital HDD is on IDE Channel 4 Slave"
"HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS, uses SATA."

Uh, it's what it says in BIOS.

No, it's the same IDE cable connecting the CD drive and IDE drive to one IDE port on the motherboard.

Kurogamon

Reaction score
Never mind, figured it out, it was because the CD drive was sharing a cable with the IDE HDD. I can use either one of the two but not both at once.

Thanks guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.