Technology Security audit finds dev OUTSOURCED his JOB to China, spends free time on Reddit.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A security audit of a US critical infrastructure company last year revealed that its star developer had outsourced his own job to a Chinese subcontractor and was spending all his work time playing around on the internet.

The firm's telecommunications supplier Verizon was called in after the company set up a basic VPN system with two-factor authentication so staff could work at home. The VPN traffic logs showed a regular series of logins to the company's main server from Shenyang, China, using the credentials of the firm's top programmer, "Bob".

"The company's IT personnel were sure that the issue had to do with some kind of zero day malware that was able to initiate VPN connections from Bob's desktop workstation via external proxy and then route that VPN traffic to China, only to be routed back to their concentrator," said Verizon. "Yes, it is a bit of a convoluted theory, and like most convoluted theories, an incorrect one."

After getting permission to study Bob's computer habits, Verizon investigators found that he had hired a software consultancy in Shenyang to do his programming work for him, and had FedExed them his two-factor authentication token so they could log into his account. He was paying them a fifth of his six-figure salary to do the work and spent the rest of his time on other activities.

Genius, but he got fired for doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Damn, I wish I could VPN into work. I'd do the work, I just want to do it from home >.> What an idiot, passing up a chance like that.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Someone buy this man a shot and get him a new job!

DM Cross

Reaction score
Is it racist that he paid a Chinese person a fifth of his wage to do all of his work?

Or just ironic? ;)

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I bet the company just fired him so they could outsource directly and cut out the middleman.

DM Cross

Reaction score
LOL, the day he got fired was the day his Chinese friend joined up?

WHAM! right in the pride!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it racist that he paid a Chinese person a fifth of his wage to do all of his work?

Or just ironic? ;)
Thats economy. Their currency has a much lower value. With the same amount of american dollars you can buy much more stuff in china then in the USA. Because living is cheaper over there.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I request an Unlike button as you just logiced a joke into unfunniness and I don't quite appreciate that at all, sir.

:)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I have VPN access to my work desktop - it's really not that useful, as I still need to go to work for the meetings, but if something goes wrong during the data collection (which happens between midnight and 4am for me), I need to log-in and fix it (well me or someone else on the dev team, we take turns by the week).. also WOL only works half the time, so the computers need to be left on...

Varine

Reaction score
I don't have a desktop at work, so fuck you guys.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
But I need to convert my fat cells and I suspect I can't just take those pills without the urge for a partner..

Varine

Reaction score
I don't have work, so fuck you guys.

How would you like to make 7.65 an hour? In fact, let's just make it an even 8. If you do good and get me a raise I might bump you up to 9.50.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.