Short Story

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
I wrote this for school, it's a little rough but here it is. As always, thoughts?

I don’t like homeless people. They are dirty, they smell, they are rude and they are a visual blemish. Such vagabonds are nothing like the fine and classy people that I work with at Lender and Spender Attorneys at Law. I’m a private practice attorney, and as such I get to interact with highly intelligent and intriguing people on a daily basis. I love coming to work everyday to that stately complex of offices where I work. Everyday as I walk down the sidewalk towards the building I swell with pride. I remember one day in particular at Lender and Spender that was not as pleasant at the rest. I was hustling down the sidewalk towards work. Every few seconds I glanced at my watch, afraid I would be late. Nervously I fumbled with my cufflinks and ruffled my hands over my suit coat. “Today is an important day” I thought to myself one of Lender and Spender’s most wealthy clients was paying a visit. I was especially proud of my outfit on that day. I was decked out in a beautiful blue suit jacket, with an extremely expensive yellow shirt and tie. So you can imagine my chagrin when I saw Frank loitering outside Lender and Spender. What a day to meet that guy. Frank was a grimy, nasty hobo. His face was covered in a gross grizzled beard and his hair was pinched into long strands of dirty braids. He wore a tattered mass of gray rags for clothing and his teeth were yellow and gross, probably from drugs, alcohol, dirty food or a wonderful medley of all three. As I hustled up the marble stairs into Lender and Spender I tried hard not to look at that abomination, but he would not be ignored. The crazy street man dove in front of me, rattling a cup in his hands.
“Spare change Mr. Fancypants?” he inquired with mock respect.
“Move you trash” I vehemently retorted, trying to avoid eye contact. Those eyes… Those eyes were disgusting. I had never associated the word dirty with eyes, but I did on that day. The eyes were a light blue with flecks of brown. They actually seemed to have grime on them.
“Please sir, just a few pennies will do.”
“I said no. Go get a job you filth” I said, as I stepped around him and hustled up the stairs.
As I swung open the door I heard Frank yell up the stairs “Maybe I will, yea… Maybe I will Fancypants.”
The rest of the day went well until lunch. I was on my way to get some food, coffee in hand, when I slipped on a puddle of spilled water. Smashing hard on my rear, I watched as my coffee soared up into the air. It spun upwards and seemed to stand still for a second in midair. Then Sir Newton’s cruelty reared its ugly head, and the coffee surged earthward, coating my new suit and my head in a steamy mess. Frustration took over, and rather than clean up the suit I tore it off and disposed of it in the trashcans outside the building. Afterwards, I finished cleaning myself off and finished the work day.
The next day I arrived at work early, I was happy to see there were no demonic hobos outside today. On my way in I was pulled aside by one of my co-workers. She informed me that a very important litigator from another law firm was here. Apparently this guy was big new and was causing quite a stir. He had arrived early that morning out of nowhere, with no warning. I had never heard of the guy but I pretended like I did. No need to sound foolish right? Hustling upstairs I was introduced to this important man, by the name of Mr. Francis Street. He was an imposing sight. Francis had a rugged beard that I’m quite sure women would have found attractive. His hair was braided into the most charming dreadlocks. I was impressed that such a classy man could pull of such a down to earth hairdo. I could tell he was a hard worker from his teeth. They were yellowed, most likely from early mornings and late evenings at his office with only coffee to keep him awake. I can always tell a hard worker. Though all of these features contributed to a handsome and successful looking man, the most striking features were his eyes. They were a light blue with dark brown spots. Their deep recesses seemed to imply he had seen too much, and was much the wiser for having seen it. Mr. Street wore an elegant shirt with splashes of brown with a brownish yellow tie and shirt. He did not say much, simply asked to be shown around. When inquired as to his reason for being at Lender and Spender he simply replied “I’m looking to get a job.” Francis left around lunchtime and we never heard from him again. However, he left a lasting impression on me. I was quite impressed by the way he carried himself and by how classy he was. He had a calming effect on everyone in stressful atmosphere of Lender and Spender Attorneys at Law. In fact, he calmed me down so much I overcame my anger from the previous day. I decided not to waste my expensive suit. Figuring I could have the coffee stains removed by a drycleaner, I left the building. With a smile I went to the trashcan to get the clothes I had thrown out the previous day. I found they were no longer there.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Good, I liked it. I automatically knew what was going to happen, but wanted to read none the less. Good one

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Read it. Hm.

Idea is kinda good, I liked what you were doing with it and all, but the main character... man, I hated him. I know you were probably going for that, but you overdid it, in my opinion. But I dunno. Try going over it and changing any little parts you think don't quite fit as well as the others, and I'm sure a second version would be even better.

Keep on writing, though, and best of luck in life.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Agree with fatmankev. Maybe making the narrator's prejudice a little bit more subtle would prevent the reader from automatically dissociating themselves with him.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
That was a nice short story. I've always enjoy your work. Your style reminds me much of Kurt Vonnegut's short stories. This story also amused me, and I'm not sure if its your intention to make me laugh sometimes.

Anyways, one of the things I disliked about this story was the pace. It just seem too abnormal to me, and I couldn't grip a reality. Sometimes writers go too slow while others speed up the entire universe. This time I think the pulse was too quick.

What I would do to fix that issue is to break up the four major parts of this story into pieces. I would give the introduction more atmosphere with more feeling and emotion. I understand the main character is vain, but it would be more appealing to read if the character had a depth so convincing that the reader may be tricked into believing that he's a hero of praiseworthy deeds. Therefore the humor would be more subtle and interesting.

To add depth, I suggest you either discuss the character's love life, current affairs, past life, or current goals in life. You may have touched on several topics already, but it would be awesome to read further into this quirky character of yours.

The next thing I'd do is add more details about Frank and the main character. How did your character get to know Frank? I mean, he called the poor guy by name. That's a rather interesting detail there. How would your character know Frank that while, yet despise him so much? I assume there's more to the story than you write. Then after you record the details to Frank's first interaction with the primary character, I would describe Frank's calming attitude the next day. There's just an unreal element that leaves the reader in a void.

But I think the conclusion is just fine. I'm sure you could jazz it up a bit if you want, but the last line was wonderfully ironic. Great job! I can't wait for more stories.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
And If I may humbly suggest a title:

"One man's trash.."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.