Tutorial Skinning and Modeling

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
Introduction
This tutorial guides you on how to skin in Adobe Photoshop, Modeling in Magos Model Editor, and Importing your edited model.

Tools Needed
Magos Model Editor
Adobe Photoshop
Warcraft 3 image extractor 2

I. Simple Skinning
First open Image extractor 2 and find the file you want to edit
imageextractorjj4.jpg

I choosed Villager Male

now save your file as a TGA format, then open Adobe Photoshop, and open your TGA skin
villagerskinrh8.jpg

now you can edit your skin
remember that if u only edited the Hue and Saturation without applying some paint or pencil, you must click Load Selections in Select > Load Selection before saving back to TGA format, but if u applied some paint and pencil to your skin, no need to click Load Selection.
so heres my finished skin
villagerfinishqe3.jpg

after you have finished editing your skin, you can save it back to TGA format, and choose 32bit for a skin

Now open your new TGA image in image extractor 2
imageextractorfinishgo3.jpg

then save it to BLP format, for the image compress you can chosse between 75 and 100, the lower the integer the higher the compression of the image, but most skinner leave it at 75 for balanced compression
compressml7.jpg

Now you can import your skin to World Editor and remember to change the path to the exact path your skin used, save the world editor and try testing the map.

II. Modeling in Magos Model Editor
First open the Model editor (of course), open MPQ browser at Windows > MPQ browser, then open a MPQ, and find a model you want to edit
openmpqmr0.jpg

im using Hellscream from the orcs

now we are going to remove it's flag for our experiment, so go to Model Editor in Windows > Model Editor
openmodeleditorqj2.jpg

now select the vertices of the flag, which we are going to remove, you will know a vertex is selected because it will turn green
verticesyz3.jpg

ok so we have our vertices selected, now go to Transformations > Scaling, check Use Center of Mass from below, and set X, Y, and Z to 0, then click ok
it should look like this
scalinggi9.jpg

now that the flag is gone, observe the model in the main viewport
you can see that the flag is gone, because we scaled down its vertices to 0
flagnomoregs5.jpg

the model is a bit boring because it uses it's original skin, now lets add an edited skin ive got from wc3campaigns and apply it to our model

first go to Windows > Texture manager and remove the textures used by our current model, other models only used one texture, but this model uses two texures for it's skin because of normal skin the green skin, and the chaos skin, so ill remove the two skin used
texturemanageruk8.jpg

now that the texture of the model is gone, lets add our edited texture, first right click on the texture manager and click import, now import your BLP skin, and proceed to Material Manager in, Windows > Material Manager

now that we are on the material manager, we must check each material if some fields are not used or (none), first double click 1 material and theres a window pops-up with a material inside the first field, now lets double click the existing material on window 2 and another window appears, check if the first field from the right has no textures used, if none choose your skin and press ok, if there is a texture used already proceed to the next material in window 2 or window 1
heres what it looks like
materialmanagerwc4.jpg

after you have checked and applied the skin on an empty field youll end up like this
skinfinishpy8.jpg

after that, congratulations! you have now edited a model, now you can save your model to a mdx format, and import it to WE

in WE import your model and the texture used, like import Hellscream.mdx and Hellscream.blp, now if u are finished importing the texture, double click it and check use custom path, then remove the string "war3mapimported\" from the path, so that WE recognizes it
importbi6.jpg

now if u used the model for a unit, first WE wont recognize it, then to make it work, save the map and try testing the map, if the model is empty, the path of the texture you imported is wrong, recheck it if u removed the chosen string.

so heres my finished project looking good!
hellscreampp6.jpg

Here are some of my finished Models
Credits to: Tim. in wc3campaigns for the undead hellscream skin
My Model Pack

Please leave some comments

S

Sunny_D

a good and clearly organized tutorial with many explaning pictures.

though, you should definately tell the people something about the alpha channel in photoshop. this point causes problems to many people as they dont save the alpha or accidently delete it; should be here to complete it in my eyes. and i've learned something about materials that way as well :)

+rep

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
oh yeah! the alpha channels, i forgot about that, alpha channels are on my mind while i was planning about this tutorial :banghead: ill update this sooner...

thanks for the comments

RzfX

Reaction score
I just tried Image extractor but the picture doesn't show up. only a bunch of green and yellow stripe patterns....are there anymore requirements to use this?

...Never mind, it was just an error in the format. Used a new one works now... Sorry 'bout that

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
yeah...wakks i got some feedbacks...

>>now that we are on the material manager, we must check each material if some fields are not used or (none), first double click 1 material and theres a window pops-up with a material inside the first field, now lets double click the existing material on window 2 and another window appears, check if the first field from the right has no textures used, if none choose your skin and press ok, if there is a texture used already proceed to the next material in window 2 or window 1

I really cant understand this line...it means all space must be (none)? or anything else??

And the edited skin....i giv an example...
I edited the paladin's skin...i colored it...
then i convert it to .blp...then i straight import it to WE....then i will just change the custom path to ''paladin.blp''...?

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
materialmanagerwc4.jpg

see this image?
theres a field under Texture ID in the 3rd window
theres a check box with the title 'Animated'
theres a box saying Texture ID that cant be clicked
and the field saying (None), change that field to ur edited skin

dont change the field under Animated Texture...

for the paladin skin, if u used the skin without a model, change the path to the exact path for it

but if u used the skin for ur custom model, just change it to Paladin.blp

without model = exact path
with model = remove 'war3mapimported\'

P

Praktikal

Whenever i try to start up the War3 Image Extractor it gives me : Component "Mscomctl.ocx" or one of its dependencies is not currently registered: A file is missing or invalid.

RzfX

Reaction score
Uhhh waaks, what if i don't have adobe photoshop? Is there a substitute i can use?

RzfX

Reaction score
Hey waaaks, anyway i can save some pictures in blp format to import in world edit?

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
what do u mean? you want to have loading screen? because if u just make a picture and load it in WE the only use of that is a loading screen, but if the size of the image is not correct for the loading screen, it wont work

maybe you can make it as an ubersplat, like pasting ur image in the ground

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.