Skinning fellhound!

12sea21

Reaction score
Well, ive tried this tutorial and it didnt work.

this is how i do it:
1. I open image extractor and save the pic as a TaRGa image
2. I open gimp (2.6.4) and edit the picture.
3. i save the edited picture as a TaRGa image.(not RLE compressed)
4. i open the picture with Image extractor 2
5. i save it as a BLP
6. i import it into WE.
7. i create a custom unit, change its Art - Model File into the picture (i have to use custom path... ill attach pics...doesnt work... why?(attaching pics as JPG)
8. i save, close WE then reopen it.
9. i cant see the skin.:banghead::banghead:

whats heppning?

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I had teh same problem. This started and ended my skinning career... try to put the skin not from custom path but from "imported files" miht work :thup:

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
3. i save the edited picture as a TaRGa image.(not RLE compressed)
then try a compressed one.

7. i create a custom unit, change its Art - Model File into the picture (i have to use custom path... ill attach pics...doesnt work... why?(attaching pics as JPG)
art - model should be well, a model. not a picture.
9. i cant see the skin.
what do you mean by cant see?
it has to apear like a chekered box if it's invalid.

and also try the 24 bit saving option.

SuperSoldier

Reaction score
One thing you need to note, is this is a skin not a model. Since you don't know what a model is as compared to a skin, a model is the actual shape of an object, and a skin is a picture that is put on the model.

Some things you need to note from tutorial:
After your new skin has been saved to .blp, you might wanna check it out in WE. To do that, open the Import Manager, locate the file and change the path to the original one. In my case its Units\Demon\Felhound\Felstalker.blp.

Save the map, close WE and reopen it to see the new skin.

EDIT: I just realized you did change path, or at least said you did, but what you need to do is set the Art - Model to the felstalker.

12sea21

Reaction score
so.. what do i do? do i need to import anyhting? cos i saved the BLP in another place.....-.-

SuperSoldier

Reaction score
Yes, import your custom skin, check the custom path box, put the path in the tutorial, save your map, close WE, open WE and your map, go to the custom unit, and change the model to the Felstalker model, and in the preview on the left it should show your skin. In game it should now have your skin.
(or you can change the unit then close and open WE I guess)

I'm not positive this will work, because every skin I have tried to edit came out invalid (what you saw, except I had the path and stuff right), but now I know a bit more about the alpha channel thing, if that was the problem, but anyway, good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.