Temporary Mind Control

Malice-

Endlessly Known
Reaction score
Basically, I'm attempting to make an ability based on Charm that grants the caster control of the target unit for a certain ammount of time, then gives control back to the original owner. It's not working, and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Here is the trigger:

Note: Once the unit returns to its original owners control, it is supposed to 'enrage', which is the dummy shaman casting bloodlust on it, although i'm not sure that that part works either ...

Code:
Mind Control
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Mind Control
    Actions
        Set Charm_Caster = (Casting unit)
        Set Charm_Target = (Target unit of ability being cast)
        Set Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] = (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast))
        Wait 30.00 seconds
        Unit - Change ownership of Charm_Target to Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] and Change color
        Unit - Create 1 Shaman (DUMMY) for Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] at (Position of Charm_Target) facing (Position of Charm_Target)
        Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Shaman - Bloodlust Charm_Target
        Unit - Order Charm_Target to Attack Charm_Caster

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Code:
Set Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] = (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast))
should be

Code:
Set Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] = (Owner of (Charm_Target))

Code:
Unit - Create 1 Shaman (DUMMY) for Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast)))] at (Position of Charm_Target) facing (Position of Charm_Target)
you cant use "____ unit" after a wait. Replace __ with casting, triggering, target unit etc etc.
so make it

Code:
Unit - Create 1 Shaman (DUMMY) for Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Charm_Target)))] at (Position of Charm_Target) facing (Position of Charm_Target)

And does the spell bloodlust cost enough mana that the dummy can use it? Like 0 mana and dummy has 1 would be good.

And can you give more info than "Its not working"?

Lastly, i dont think you need to remve the variable, since its a unit, not sure on player though.

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
3 Suggestions:

First,
(Target unit of ability being cast)
Since you have already set it to a variable, use the variable instead. Somehow this value is not very stable, so don't do repeated reference to it; Store it as a variable and use the variable instead. If you want it to be MPI, store it as a variable within an array.

Second,
It would be better to use "dummy ability" and trigger to change ownership, instead of making the trigger detect a "Charm" ability. That way, you know when the unit changes owner. In the event the ownership changes before the trigger fires, you need to refer using "Previous Owner". So its easier to cut the trouble and simply change the ownership with your triggers.

Lastly,
Since the ownership of "Charm_Target“ is to be changed,its better to use this:
Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Charm_Caster)))]
because the caster does not change owners...

Addition: "Casting Unit" should also be "Triggering Unit", and the latter is MUI, use that instead

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
3 Suggestions:

First,
(Target unit of ability being cast)
Since you have already set it to a variable, use the variable instead. Somehow this value is not very stable, so don't do repeated reference to it; Store it as a variable and use the variable instead. If you want it to be MPI, store it as a variable within an array.

Second,
It would be better to use "dummy ability" and trigger to change ownership, instead of making the trigger detect a "Charm" ability. That way, you know when the unit changes owner. In the event the ownership changes before the trigger fires, you need to refer using "Previous Owner". So its easier to cut the trouble and simply change the ownership with your triggers.

Lastly,
Since the ownership of "Charm_Target“ is to be changed,its better to use this:
Charm_Target_Player[(Player number of (Owner of (Charm_Caster)))]
because the caster does not change owners...

Addition: "Casting Unit" should also be "Triggering Unit", and the latter is MUI, use that instead

Thought it would be easiest to base it off of charm, and when you charm a target, you store the targeted unit to a variable, store the original owner of the unit in a variable, wait however long you want to wait, and give the unit back to the original owner all via triggering.

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
To: seph ir oth
I am not sure, as i mentioned, base it off charm and you might have some problems. The thread starter uses "Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability". So charm may or may not have taken effect... Also "Previous Owner" is only applicable for "Change Owner" event, so it might not work.

I was just thinking, since you are going to change the ownership back, might as well do the Initial change too... Its just one line of code, compare to testing needed to ensure you "save" the "owner" before the change happen.

To: darkchaoself
Didn't see your post when i was typing....

Malice-

Endlessly Known
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm just going to trigger the ability completely. I think that with charm, no matter what, the trigger isnt even firing until the unit is already charmed, thus, my 'target unit''s owner is being set to the person who charmed it... and thats why it wont switch ownership back after the duration is up.

Darkchaoself

What is this i dont even
Reaction score
Heh, its already triggered. And it doesnt work b/c of the "Target unit of ability being cast" After the wait.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.