Terrain Review (Vote!)

Vylatin

Reaction score
Ok, i've started to work on an AOS map. And i just want to know if i should follow my terrain style.

Take a look at the pics below!

And please vote 1 - 10

Thx in advance! :)

Nerfpl

Reaction score
I think trees really makes weird effect when they are so mixed in theme
you can try to add global linear whiteFog something like: Z start 1500, Z end 7000 (depends on your zoom)
it give the magic effect

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
You need tons of doodads like brushes, flowers, dead trees, rocks, cliffs, mushrooms, etc, etc.
Don't be afraid of overdoing it.

Razed

Reaction score
I'll give it a 4.

I assume you are trying to create a natural forest.
This just looks like a human-made planted forest with no creative mind.

Do as Exide said and make it more mountainious, more water flows, etc.

lindenkron

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
It's very ... ye, none detailed.

It needs to look more random, and have more things going on on the 'ground' the 'earth'.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
well I really hate the grass and the road...

the grass looks really ugly with all the bright greenness, it kills my eyes...
put more tiles on the grass, not just those vines near trees

and the road looks just too "white" and "perfect", like it's never been touched... put some cracks or dirt on the road
or don't even use marble... it looks ugly in a forest, it's mostly used in towns/castles

otherwise, with some fogs and "few" details, it could look good

for now, I would give it a 5

_________
I usually never use lordaeron summer tileset (I assume you used it) since it really has bad tiles

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
4/10

-Weird trees. (SRSLY WTF.)
-Mixture of trees that don't fit together.
-Bad use of pathing blockers (Stop spamming small ones and wasting both map and memory space, place some big ones.)
-Repetitive brush edges. (Everything looks nice round... You should make it more random.)
-Massive lack of doodads. (Add shrubs to give the idea of bushes and grass.)
-Flat ground.

Vylatin

Reaction score
I always fail with the Terrain. God damn :/ What terrain would you guys prefer? You seem to be very tired on Lordareon Summer...?

What would you like to see? Give me some few tips! I will probably quit this terrain now.. so i need new fresh ideas!

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I like village, village fall, sunken ruins, ashenvale, northrend, icecrown glacier... actually everything besides lordaeron summer and cityscape (I only use cityscape when I'm making cities/towns/castles etc :p)

just make the terrain look natural... don't make it symmetric, it's the biggest mistake that people do... (it's only used in TDs actually)

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
I like village, village fall, sunken ruins, ashenvale, northrend, icecrown glacier... actually everything besides lordaeron summer and cityscape (I only use cityscape when I'm making cities/towns/castles etc :p)

just make the terrain look natural... don't make it symmetric, it's the biggest mistake that people do... (it's only used in TDs actually)

On the symmetric thing. You can try making the pathing symmetric by using mainly doodads that are collisionless.

Oh; and just make anything you can think of. But whatever you do; stay away from imports.

sentrywiz

Reaction score
I like it

Whoa ... nice trees! How did you made those?

I love pretty much everything besides 1-2-3. All others caught my attention especially the last pic. I may get flammed for writing that I do like the non-random thing, especially for an aos map, makes it look kinda mystical yet ordinary.

I disagree with all who say its not original. Its very original.

Once again all besides 1-2-3 are excellent. Can't wait to try this map when its done!

:thup:

Vylatin

Reaction score
Finally someone that likes it :)

I maybe should hold on with this terrain then? Add some environment doodads and white fog?

Lol xD

Never_Quit

Reaction score
i think that it looks ok but needs alot of polishing before you can consider it finished.
I can't tell where you are going with the finishing product. Are you going for a city scape that is overgrown with trees or a forest that has a path in it?

Lumograph090

Reaction score
It's a decent start.

Randomization is your friend!

Use less pathing blockers, use large blockers etc to cut down on map size.

add variation to the terrain, paths etc. Don't make the paths both symmetrical.

Check out the lay out of TOB and AotZ those are very solid lay outs with a sort of summitry but its still very good looking

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.