US News Texas student wins scholarship after outing teacher for comparing atheism to smoking

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score

A student recently told a group of humanists in Texas in that she won a scholarship by standing up for her beliefs after her high school teacher compared atheism to smoking cigarettes.

At a Humanists of Houston meeting last week, 19-year-old Sara Elizabeth Sheppard explained that she decided to use her cell phone to record her high school economics professor after he “started to talk about religion in an inappropriate manner.”

During the one lecture, the teacher claimed that atheism was against human nature, and that “the mind rejects the concept of atheism” just like the body rejects smoking. The next week, he taught a lesson advocating prayer for a positive state of mind.

Sheppard provided the recordings to the Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF), which contacted the Katy school district. The school superintendent replied with a letter thanking Sheppard and FFRF.

“We have conducted a thorough investigation and have taken appropriate action,” the letter said.

A friend who was in the same class the next semester told Sheppard that the teacher had said that she “took away his right to talk about Jesus.”

Read more.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If you watch the first 2 minutes of the video she says that it happened more than a year ago.

I did not even watch the first thirty seconds because I read most of the article and then didn't really give a shit.

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Got about half way through, and realized, that I just don't give a shit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.