The age old StarCraft lag while playing on BNet with your friend on a LAN...

Z

Zamiel

This seems to be a well known problem, but I am having difficulties implimenting the solution.

What happens: Me and a friend, both connected to the internet via a Linksys router, experience extreme lag when joining the same game on BNet with at least one other player (outside the LAN). There is no lag when we play a 1v1 via LAN. There is no lag when we play a 1v1 on BNet. There is no lag while we are playing seperate games on BNet at the same time.

Why it happenes: StarCraft on BNet doesn't support gaming under a NAT; in other words, since both players are coming from the same IP, BNet gets tied up because it doesn't know how to handle two connections via the same IP. At least, I think so. =)

The solution: On the non-host computer, navigate to the following directory in regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battle.net\Configuration

Create a new DWORD registry key labeled "Game Data Port" with a decimal value of 6120 (although the actual port value doesn't matter). Then, in your router's port forwarding, make sure port 6120 (TCP and UDP) are forwarded to the non-host computer. In addition, make sure ports 6112-6119 (TCP and UDP) are forwarded to the host computer. Now the information from BNet should be coming in on different ports, theoretically removing the lag.

Why the solution doesn't work: I don't know. The lag is still there. Help me. =p

PS - Are there any other ports StarCraft or BNet uses? I heard 2100 to 2350 should be open in addition to 6112 to 6119.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Not on this issue. As far as I know it has never been resolved and there is no workaround for it. Something would have to be coded. At least that is the last I heard from Blizzard about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.