Too much Attack dice = Server split?

Cal1991

Reaction score
Is it true that giving a unit too many attack dice can cause server splits?
And is it only attack dice or also damage sides per die?

If there is a limit to how many of each that should be given to a unit, what is it? And can upgrades that increase attack dice cause problems too?

If anyone can answer any of these questions, I'll +rep :)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you want to know this.

Unless that number is really, really big I don't see a problem here, and upgrades won't cause a problem ;)

If there is a limit, it must be high.

EDIT: Limit is 100, for both "Damage number of Dice" and "Damage Sides per Die"

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Well, the server split might be something else. But, the fields do (I think) have a limit to the amount. I don't think that anyone would have like 10000000000.00 damage, so I think you should put a smaller amount. In Imagica, I think that the damage for the big Banshee boss is about 6000 or 20,000 or something like that. Maybe you should lower it to what you prefer because it might cause a split.

Cal1991

Reaction score
EDIT: Limit is 100, for both "Damage number of Dice" and "Damage Sides per Die"

If you don't mind telling me, what is your source for this?

I want to know because people sometimes disc/sever split from my map, and too high attack dice seemed like it could possibly be a problem, since some of the most powerful units have as many as 25.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My source is simply the Object Editor. Try to put a bigger number in there :p

Server splits don't originate from those kind of things. They originate from triggers, especially those which use player-only actions.

The one you should be looking for is

Camera - Pan Camera as necessary for...

"as necessary" desyncs (server split) the game. Some other functions do that too.

Cal1991

Reaction score
My source is simply the Object Editor. Try to put a bigger number in there :p

Server splits don't originate from those kind of things. They originate from triggers, especially those which use player-only actions.

The one you should be looking for is

Camera - Pan Camera as necessary for...

"as necessary" desyncs (server split) the game. Some other functions do that too.

Ok, so you're saying that it is not true that values the object editor allows you to put in can cause problems? because if you are, you're wrong... but I'll take your word for it on this one, since I don't really know myself.

And yes I know pan camera as nessersary can do it, I have nothing like that in my triggers.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never said they couldn't cause problems, I said it couldn't lead to server split.

Example of Server split (Pan camera as necessary)

Code:
function SmartCameraPanBJ takes player whichPlayer, location loc, real duration returns nothing
    local real dist
   [b] if (GetLocalPlayer() == whichPlayer) then
        // Use only local code (no net traffic) within this block to avoid desyncs.[/b]

set dist = DistanceBetweenPoints(loc, GetCameraTargetPositionLoc())
        if (dist >= bj_SMARTPAN_TRESHOLD_SNAP) then
            // If the user is too far away, snap the camera.
            call PanCameraToTimed(GetLocationX(loc), GetLocationY(loc), 0)
        elseif (dist >= bj_SMARTPAN_TRESHOLD_PAN) then
            // If the user is moderately close, pan the camera.
            call PanCameraToTimed(GetLocationX(loc), GetLocationY(loc), duration)
        else
            // User is close enough, so don't touch the camera.
        endif
    endif
endfunction

And then there are global variables inside this function, which causes the desync.

What I'm saying is that the object editor can't cause such things.

It can cause problems though, I just got one while testing my map :p Infinite AoEs, Infinite durations, and the such can happen in the Object Editor and might cause problems. But not desyncs (at least, I never saw a desync happen from Object Editor... It is not likely to happen for several reasons)

Anyways, look in your triggers for stuff which happens for 1 player only. It is usually the cause.

Korolen

New User (Why do I keep getting those red bars?)
Reaction score
Although it may not cause a direct desync, I can imagine having a lot of units who have superquickinsanlyhighandretartedattackvalues with lots of dice may slow down old computers.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Is it true that giving a unit too many attack dice can cause server splits?

Not really. Though it might crash your map...

I would suggest higher base damage instead.

Cal1991

Reaction score
I never said they couldn't cause problems, I said it couldn't lead to server split.

Understood. I was simply saying that just because the object editor allows it doesn't mean it is okay.

> Is it true that giving a unit too many attack dice can cause server splits?

Not really. Though it might crash your map...

How consistently crash it?

Having tested my map on battle.net over a 100 times and having found no consistent causes of people disconnecting I'm willing to try less likely things, but giving vague generic answers isn't much help.

>
I would suggest higher base damage instead.
Quite obviously I would have to do that in order to maintain balance if I were forced to lower the attack dice...
But there are enough units to change that I would rather just know if there is any problem with the amount of dice I already have, which Dax already answerd.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, in that case it would be just an overflow :p

Do your units have such kind of attack rate? (0.01 cooldown).

Anyways, I can't tell right now what is causing this. Most probably in your triggers, but in can be so many things...

EDIT: grammar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.