UK News UK Smokers told to quit or surgery will be refused

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Smokers are to be denied operations on the Health Service unless they give up cigarettes for at least four weeks beforehand.

Doctors will police the rule by ordering patients to take a blood test to prove they have not been smoking.

The ruling, authorised by Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt, comes after medical research conclusively showed smokers take longer to recover from surgery.

It is thought that 500,000 smokers a year will be affected.

Last edited:

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
woot woot, makes me happy that those retarded enough to smoke are made to suffer even more for their stupidity

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Hopefully other countries will follow - If it can work for the UK, it can work for the US. Damn smokers.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That's dumb, smoking is personal choice.
And the U.S. can't follow, who the hell gets health care in the U.S.?

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score

If it's personal choice whether or not they can smoke, they shouldn't complain about not being able to smoke for four weeks.

If your that addicted to where you can't put down a cigarette for 4 weeks to actually help your body for once in your life, then you're retarded.

I have no sympathy for smokers whatsoever, mainly because family members smoking has effected my life more than I wish it to.

johnnyfire

Reaction score
I smoke every day and honestly 4 weeks is a little much, I think two weeks would be more fair...

Hey, don't go badmouthing smokers just because you don't smoke. It is a personal choice and you should respect that.

What about drinkers, drug takers, people who eat too much and people who never exercise? - taken from article

Smoking is less dangerous than many other things anyway it just gets your lungs... alcohol (kills braincells and liver), obesity (heart, veins, bones, intestinal tract, etc), drugs (omg could be anything).
You are more likely to die in a car accident than from smoking.

Smokers pay over £10 billion in tax and cost the NHS almost £2 billion.
They've paid for the hospitals, equipment, treatment and the health workers wages - so hush up and do what you're paid to do, you haven't a clue what addiction feels like. - taken from article comments

It seems we've paid our dues... besides it will never pass in the US considering that we pay for our own health insurance.

DuckieKing

Elitist Through and Through
Reaction score
It is a personal choice and you should respect that.
Then why do I have to smell it? I'm hypersensitive to smells -- I literally can't breathe when someone is smoking nearby. I can't stand paint or ammonia, either. ;p

About the original article, maybe they should just increase public (teen) awareness about every way smoking's bad for you.

M

Marduke

Then why do I have to smell it? I'm hypersensitive to smells -- I literally can't breathe when someone is smoking nearby. I can't stand paint or ammonia, either. ;p

Lol. I'm the same way though, I can't stand the smell of smoke.

I make my wife smoke outside.

Ohio recently passed a law that you can't smoke indoors at any workplace, thank god because at my old job I couldn't stand breaks at all.

Edit:
LOL if you think smoking just affects your lungs.

emjlr3

Reaction score
car accidents may kill more people then smoking, however, second hand smoke alone kills more people then alcohol does

if its a personal choice, keep it to yourself, and dont smoke anywhere near me, aka, in your house, no where else, period, I should not have to suffer for your ignorance

etc.,etc.,etc., I could go on forever

Akatsuki

Reaction score
I really hate smoking. Drinking, obsity, and taking drugs hurts the person taking it. But smoking hurts people who didn't even make the choice of taking them. If you want to do things that hurts your body knowing the risks. Go ahead. Just make sure that it doesn't hurt people around you who doesn't make the choice. Second-hand smoking is very harmful to little kids.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Regardless of personal choice, taste or opinion, this "decision" is, simply, discrimination.
But in difference to believes actions isn't and should not be protected by law. Smoking is an action and not a way of thinking, I see nothing wrong in threating smokers different if you threat murders (or other nouns that are caused by action) different. Unless, of course, smoking should be considered a disease then they should receive health care and not punishment.

1JadedJen

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money
Reaction score
The big thing with smoking and surgery tho, is that smoking greatly increases the risks of anesthesia. Before any surgery where anesthesia is to be used, patients are advised to stop smoking 4 weeks or more before the surgery. People who continue to smoke put themselves at risk for serious post surgery breathing complications. Surgeries have also been cut short because a patient stops breathing on the operating table and they have to take them off the anesthesia to get them breathing again. Which is not only bad for the patient yes, but money wise it's a waste of time and resources. Now they have to reschedule the surgery and repay the docs for the procedure, yadda yadda ya..

So I don't think they were focused on quit smoking now for forever or you won't get any health benefits, but that if it is found that patients have smoked in the 4 weeks before their scheduled surgery, their surgery will be cancelled.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
You? In our hospital? Forget it, you're too expensive for the system. There's a statistical chance you might have to stay an extra day.

That's not health care, that's business talk.
Chain production.
You just created a two classes system, where both sides pay just the same, but one is allowed in and the other not.

Congratulations.
Welcome to a better world.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
You? In our hospital? Forget it, you're too expensive for the system. There's a statistical chance you might have to stay an extra day.
Exactly the same reason why I'm not allowed to drive without a seatbelt here even thought I pay the same car tax as everyone else. The world is full of things that creates class system(s), and quite frankly I can't imagine how a world without those things would function.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Though we're talking about health care here, not "Yes, you may go to the party, but you'll be back home at 10pm".
That's very far from "exactly the same".

emjlr3

Reaction score
riddle me this (for lack of a better analogy atm)

a person is a drinker, would you allow someone who is suffering from liver failure due to this, drink, which ultimately just makes things worse?

why is that not discrimination, why can you not drink as a hospital patient, but can smoke as one, even though both hold risks, and niether is called for?

That's not health care, that's business talk

a hospital is a business, and insurance companies(notice the word company, not good samaritins) are out to make money, not lose it, obviously, since there is no clause in current contracts that I am aware of that states such objections, such as being refused health care due to being retarded (aka smoking), this cannot be done, however, I do not think it is unreasonable, unconstitutional, or immoral to create such a small print detial in such contracts

You just created a two classes system, where both sides pay just the same, but one is allowed in and the other not.

they don't, smokers pay more, and as such, it should be iincluded in their costs to account for such complications during medical treatment, it should not be up to the hospital to decide if and when they get treated

Regardless of personal choice, taste or opinion, this "decision" is, simply, discrimination.

we are not talking about something these people were born with, as skin color, or heritage
nor are we talking about religous beliefs, where, although a conscious decision, holds no bearing in this current debate
we are talking about a conscious act by the patient which deliberatly inflicts harm where healing is trying to be accomplished, I consider is blasphemous for a patient to directly put them selves in harms way to simply fulfill their selfish desire

although my views seem to be conflicting, they are not, I think ( :) ), I simply agree to disagree with almost everything Ace said

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think we need to add something to the bottom of the front page that shows the Headline News forum that has a link to go to the News Forum Index so people can see there is more news. Do you guys see what I am saying, lets say you read all the articles on the front page and you get to the end and it just ends, no kind of link for MOAR!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Wednesday!
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Sticking with the desserts for now the latest recipe is Fried Apple Pies - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-fried-apple-pies.194297/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Finally finding about some of the bots that are flooding the users online - bytespider apparently is a huge offender here - ignores robots.txt and comes in from a ton of different IPs

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.