unit creation

Shavo667

Reaction score
is there a quicker way to create units besides duplicating everything?

what im doing is creating lvl 1,2,3 units.

for example lets use the marine.
i have to duplicate the marine twice, then duplicate their weapons, then duplicate the weapon effect dmg.

and thats the simple units.

a hellion you have to edit numerous actors, effects, etc.

is there a way to just duplicate the unit and the actor, and somehow change the dmg, without changing it for all 3?

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155096

I'll explain weapon creation later. This is actually CREATING the unit, instead of duplicating it.

Oh and weapon damage is under effects.

It goes through Weapon -> Effects, for example... (effects is a different data type)

Weapon: Marine - Gauss Rifle (Weapon)
Effect: Marine - Guass Rifle (Damage is editted here)

You change the effect on the weapon for the damage. So you need 3 different weapons and 3 different effects.

Shavo667

Reaction score
what you said there is essietnially what im doing already. all im doing is duplicating to save time, and keep all the actors i need linked to the copy, so i dont have to look them up.

my only real problem comes from the dmg usually, when i duplicate the dmg and dmg related effects and rename them, all the actors of those effects drop. so i have to duplicate the actors and link them to the new weapons.

what my question is, could i go through doing what youve said in the link, then just change the dmg and dmg display? without having to do the above?

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
what you said there is essietnially what im doing already. all im doing is duplicating to save time, and keep all the actors i need linked to the copy, so i dont have to look them up.

my only real problem comes from the dmg usually, when i duplicate the dmg and dmg related effects and rename them, all the actors of those effects drop. so i have to duplicate the actors and link them to the new weapons.

what my question is, could i go through doing what youve said in the link, then just change the dmg and dmg display? without having to do the above?

Yes. Duplicating just creates mess you don't need to deal with, all you really have to make is just the Unit, Actor, Weapon, and Effect for each unit.

Shavo667

Reaction score
but if i do that, characters dont go through attack animations.

for example the helion, his weapon effect is hellion (persistant). which means i have to duplicate that effect, then the dmg effect, then any actors connected to the persistant effect, otherwise the attack effects seem to not work

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Well, hellions have actors for each attack I believe, so you would have to make actors for those too.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Only way to increase damage is to edit the effect but it applies to all units using the weapon. Hope that sums it up for you.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
Before I start, I'd like to mention I didn't read the posts above as I'm lazy :p

Basically, this is all I know. Might be useful for you:
- The unit will have to be duplicated as easiest method. Else you'll have to make it from scratch. While duplicating you can choose multiple things. Basically you shouldn't duplicate abilities like "attack", as "attack" is the same for everyone. The actor should be duplicated and the mover/validators shouldn't. Those are just examples. Only duplicate those which are unique for every unit. Those you don't duplicate will have the original link (your duplicated unit won't lose attack ability etc.).
- Things you have to change at the unit tab are basically it's movementspeed, energy, shield and life. Eventually also new abilities are needed (and thus buttons).
- The only thing you have to change at your duplicated actor will be it's name and it's model. TIP: Select the actor in the bottom-left of your unit window, instead of going to the actor tab. (This is where the entire unit is listed, it's abilities, models, actors, weapons, ...) Saves you quite some time.
- I guess you duplicated the weapons at unit, so basically same as the actor. Select it at the unit tab, to save some time, and change the name/damage/a.speed.
- While changing things I recommend you use the data editor's search function (top-right). This saves quite some time. To change life/energy/shield for example, you could search for "property" (not sure if that works), else just for "stat", or just "life" "energy" "shield" individually. This is faster as searching it.
- As you have to make many many units, I recommend you do it like this:
  • First duplicate it as much times as you need your unit. So if you have 1 unit and need 20, duplicate it 20 times.
  • When you're done with that, rename all units and their actors, weapons, etc. Use the unit tab to do this all.
  • When you're done renaming everything, you have oversight. Now you can slowly change all life values, damage values etc.
  • At last do the work which takes many time, like adding new abilities.
I guess that's the fastest way to do it with many many units. It might be boring, but it'll be a routine job like that and thus rather easy (allowing you to work things out in your head - get some ideas etc.)

That's basically the easiest way to duplicate the basics of the units. Adding new abilities to the units will have to be done manually. (Well, identical abilities can be duplicated, of course, but new abilities will simply have to made manually. Personally, I still prefer triggering my abilities, using a dummy unit etc.)

Shavo667

Reaction score
what youve described there is what i am doing.

i was just hoping there was a way to use the same weapon over 3 units, and somehow have the dmg change depending on the unit that used the weapon. as it would save me a lot of time and effort.

Frozenwind

System maker
Reaction score
I'm afraid there is no such thing. Well, maybe if you launch the damage part through triggers, but then still, a.speed would retain the same for all units. (And in the time you write the trigger, you can have 10 different weapons done xD) So ye... Welcome to the sc2 data editor.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.