Tutorial Using Barrage to Attack 2 targets

sevensc

Reaction score
Tutorial: Using Barrage to Attack 2 targets

NOTE: This tutorial does not cover the basics of making a barrage ability and adding it to a unit/hero; however, If that information is requested, I will add it.

It seems that it is commonly accepted that a unit/hero with barrage will have a minimum of 3 targets. This tutorial is here to show otherwise.

Attacking 2 Targets:

Your custom barrage fields:
Data - Damage Per Target = 0 (Barrage will get it's damage from the unit/hero it is added to)
Data - Maximum Number of Targets = (This number does NOT matter, I prefer to use 0)
Data - Maximum Total Damage = (This number needs to be equal to or less than your unit's/hero's lower damage range and greater than 0, I prefer to use 1 as it will allow the ability to work on any number of different units/heroes despite their damage output)

That's all there is to it. Just drop the ability onto a unit/hero and it will attack 2 targets (if 2 are in range) for the same damage each.

Example: if the units damage range is 10-20 and it attacks for 13, both targets will be hit for 13 damage.

Why this Works:

Data - Maximum Total Damage is not what it looks like. It does not cap the damage of a single attack, but is the abilities damage output target.

Take this situation for example:
There is a unit with an atack damage range of 1-200.

It has the barrage ability and its data fields are:
Data - Damage Per Target = 0
Data - Maximum Number of Targets = 0
Data - Maximum Total Damage = 100

If that unit were to attack for 1 damage, it would attempt to attack 100 additional units to meet the requirement outlined by Data - Maximum Total Damage.

If the same tower then attacked for 200 damage, it would only attack 1 additional target in order to meet it's damage output goal.

And finally, if the tower attacked once more for 99 damage, it would attempt to attack 2 additional targets. The goal damage of "Data - Maximum Total Damage = 100" wants to be met, never to come up short.

And so, by setting Data - Maximum Total Damage = 1, the goal damage will always be met with a single additional attack for a total of two targets.

I hope that helps out with all of your two-target endeavors. If you leave feedback I'll check in and make any modifications that are requested.

Until then, sevensc.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I've never used the ability barrage. But when I do, this will come in handy. The maximum damage or whatever is misleading O_O
... Now that I think about it[2] (whoops! Too much warcraft! jk :p) I've only really used Shockwave and Stomp and sometimes Carrion Swarm. -.-"
Anyways, good job on the tutorial.
I dunno if I should +rep because the tutorial is basic, can't tell if it's my ignorance of the WE :p
Ah whatever I'll be nice and +rep you

G

Goauld

Is this a tutorial? It's merely a tip if you ask me. Additionally, I figured this out myself the moment I checked Barrage's data fields.

The Undaddy

Creating with the power of rage
Reaction score
So the Data - Maximum Total Damage is the additional damage that must be done?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.