Gaming Video games' sexual double standard may have real-world impact

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
German game developer Crytek caused a stir in the gaming press when the lead producer on its forthcoming multiplayer shooter "Warface" justified the game's cartoonishly sexualized portrayals of female characters, saying it was what players wanted to see. This is the latest example of a common trend of treating female video game characters differently than their male counterparts — relegating women to derogatory supporting roles, giving them inhumanly exaggerated bodily proportions, and generally casting them as little more than sexual objects.

Crytek's justification — which producer Joshua Howard explained to Wired — was based on focus group testing, which differed by region: In the West, from Russia to the U.S., the female characters will have Barbie-doll measurements and skimpy tops (though in China, they will be more modestly dressed). So when the game is released for PC in the U.S. this week, the only female character that gamers — men or women — will be able to choose to play is a hypersexualized
one.

The common defense marshaled in favor of such inequitable treatment is to say, "It's just a game." That may be true, but a research paper published this summer in the journal "Computers in Human Behavior" suggests that a virtual gender imbalance could have real-world consequences.

8C9401291-warfacetease.blocks_desktop_small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not like it said "it was what [male] players wanted to see" no, in fact its what all kinds of gamers want to see.
No female gamer wants to play an ugly woman. My girlfriend for example is much more eager to see female characters in skimpy clothes then I am.

My theory is that this is something that girls in our society of today can not have in real life. They can not choose to look like a super model and even if they do they can not run around in super sexualized outfits. Although maybe they would like to.
If you go to any kind of cosplay event you will see all the girls dress like sluts. Because they like it and because they cant do it anywhere else or they would actually be called sluts.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
i personally find "hypersexualized" women in games to be distasteful, especially "bikini armor" and other absurd revealing armor

Eyonix

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
i personally find "hypersexualized" women in games to be distasteful, especially "bikini armor" and other absurd revealing armor

So there should be options to dress your character how you want to dress them in every game, problem solved, people who want to look like sluts can and people who want to look like nuns also can lol.

Either way its all personal preference..... just like everything else in the world, someone has to be a hater.....

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Ah so, you girlfriend only play with you? Eager to see you in skimpy clothes? Accname

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.