Warcraft III Viewer; TGA -> BLP Compression Quality

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone uses this program for the use in this thread title (TGA -> BLP conversions).
What's the compression quality you use?
My map has quite a few icons, and 50% compression looks, honestly, identical with about 5KB (12KB down to 7KB) less size for the BLP.
I'm trying lower values, but just wanted to see what other people use.
I think I might get down to about 35% hopefully, get like 6-7KB smaller file size?

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
The lower the quality, the more fuzzy it begins to look. Make sure that you check it out in-game to make sure it looks okay. Otherwise, I recommend that you get something like BLP Lab (or Button Manager), and use that to view your icons. (it is a bit nicer for viewing and managing BLP's)

However, most people won't care if an icon has a bit of quality loss. I usually stick to 50-75% compression. If you need it to be lower, then it should be fine, but I wouldn't go lower than 35%. :)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I make all my different buttons in Photoshop CS5 :p
I just needed Warcraft III Viewer to change them to BLP.

I used 55% compression, which only lowered the quality by a miniscule amount, unnoticeable unless you squint at 2mm away :)
General size went from 12KB to 7KB.

I only have 2 out of 21 heroes complete, and already have 46 custom icons;
So cutting the size in almost half is very, very good.

Just from the two classes worth of icons, I went from a map of 311KB to 270KB :p

And PurgeandFire: Yeah, anything below the 55% was noticeable with squinting and about 10mm away :p
I want to please all the aesthetic perfectionists, including myself :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.